Fermentation temp too low?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lousybeer

Reaction score
So I have my beer goin and during the summer my ferm temps were too high, but now thAt it's winter it's gotten too low here in California. I'm using us-05 yeast and I started around 60-62, which is what I have seen people recommend for that yeast. I know the temp range for that yeast is 59-70. I go to look at my fermenter in my buddy's garage and it's at 52! Does fermentation completely stop or does it slow down? Does it negatively affect the way it tastes? Suggestions on what to do next? The kitchen is warmer, maybe around 70f, should I bring it there? And I'm guessing after the aggressive ferm, temp doesn't matter as much.

52 is probably a little low. I will use that yeast at 60 though and like the results. 70 ambient might be a little high because your fermentation temps might get up to 75 or even higher.

How long has it been going for? You really need to get it up to the mid 60s. Do a search for swamp cooler. Or turn the heat down in the house a few degrees.

52F is def too low even for US-05. It can go dormant & settle out. You need to warm it up to 60-62 & gently swirl the fermenter to stir some yeast back into suspension. It could take a day to get going again,from my experiences.

Yep, bring it inside and gently rouse the yeast back into suspension by rocking your fermenter a little. No need to panic.

Back