Fermentation Temp Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddie

Reaction score
When a recipe recommends a fermentation temp range of X*F to Y*F, is that referencing the ambient temp (or cooling liquid temp. if using a jacketed vessel) or the temperature of the actual liquid? If it is the actual internal temperature of the beer, are there any rules of thumb when it comes to estimating internal temps?

6-8° above room temp when actively fermenting

This scales poorly unfortunately. :(

Depending on strain and ambient temperature, I've seen as little as 4f above ambient when fermenting ales in the low 60s, and as much as 14f above ambient in one fateful batch I tried to run at 72f ambient with dry yeast.

Fact is, the width of the possible range really means you need a stick-on thermometer for your vessel (a buck well spent). And the temps in the instructions reflect what that stick-on thermometer should read.

I guess you probably concluded from the responses above, but to answer the first part of your question - it's referring to the wort temp, not ambient

Back