Fermentation Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
I live in New Zealand, today's temperature was 27*C (it seems a lot hotter than that with the humidity and everything) and in Fahrenheit that is rather hot. Ive also got no money at all at this time to spend on my set up. Anyone got any good ideas how to cool down my fermenting barrel, ive got it in the tub and have dumped ice in but thats not getting below 24*C (75*F) Im brewing an ESB

I have the opposite issue in my basement. I'm too cold. Although a similar fix is possible. Invest in a large storage bin. You can pick one up relatively cheap. Place your fermentation vessel in the bin and fill the bin with water.

You can then add ice or fill bottles with water and freeze them and add them to the bin. This should do the trick.

A wet towel and a fan will bring down the temp 3-5 degrees. The most important time is during the active phase,

rl1373 - I hea ya on the cold 58F in the basement - perfect for a Hefeweizen though!

I have the opposite issue in my basement. I'm too cold. Although a similar fix is possible. Invest in a large storage bin. You can pick one up relatively cheap. Place your fermentation vessel in the bin and fill the bin with water.

You can then add ice or fill bottles with water and freeze them and add them to the bin. This should do the trick.

Here is my winter solution using the plastic tub and water technique. Picture 1 shows a pond pump circulating the water. The 2nd picture shows an aquarium heater connected to a Ranco temp controller (out of view):
DSC000303.JPG

DSC000291.JPG

For the price of the lumber and styrofoam needed to make that chamber you could probably get a cheap used fridge and a ranco controller. Just saying.

Maybe just a very used fridge... You could build one, possibly 2 for the cost of the Ranco.

Maybe just a very used fridge... You could build one, possibly 2 for the cost of the Ranco.

One sheet of plywood could cost 50.00. Some of the fancy plywood in those pics would run closer to 100.00 per sheet. + the 25.00 thermostat. + a 10.00 fan + another 25.00 for the pink foam. wires, nails, handles, trim, glue, plug, etc... It all adds up.

One sheet of plywood could cost 50.00. Some of the fancy plywood in those pics would run closer to 100.00 per sheet. + the 25.00 thermostat. + a 10.00 fan + another 25.00 for the pink foam. wires, nails, handles, trim, glue, plug, etc... It all adds up.

the original was built with foam only for structure. You can easily do better for pricing on the fan and thermostat.

Yeah, it did cost a way more lot than expected at first. A cheap fridge with a temperature controller would've been simpler and cheaper, I'm not denying it. But I had limited space issues in my closet...The MoFC I build had been designed specifically to hold in my closet very well.

But yeah, it did cost an arm. Plywood sheets+ Pink Foam+ Caulking+ Thermostat+ Varnish+ Varsol+ Wiring+ Epoxy (the thermistor)+ Wood Glue + Corners+ Polyurethane glue+Reflectix insulation+ [...].

It did cost a lot, true, but I also learned a lot by working it with a friend. It's amazing how much I learned out of it and am now more confident with myself.

But, if you build it out of only pink foam, glue and a thermostat, this may actually cost under 100.00$. What raised the price was plywool sheets I wanted to have something pretty and moveable (I put wheels under it) as to avoid transporting a full carboy.

Back