Fermentation temp @75 amber ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mufflerbearing

Reaction score
I am brewing a AHS fat tire clone and my temp seems to stay around 75 degrees. Is this bad? I have moved it to my guest bath and turned the ac on to 70. Then i have a light issue.The yeast bottle said ferment between 72-75 on the label but the website says 66-70. Any advice?? I pitched at 530 am sat the 20th of oct. it is now Monday following. As you can see I started at 72 and went up. Only been at 75 today.

image-562477167.jpg

image-1633164401.jpg

It depends on the yeast, but most ale yeasts seem to like the mid sixties or so. Mid seventies will probably get you some off flavors, but it wont ruin the beer by any means. Big temp swings will also stress the yeast. Just don't let it get any warmer than it is or you may get some stronger alcohol flavors.

I am going to keep it in there and if it won't stay in the high 60s I will toss in an old window ac unit. I don't get why the bottle said 72-75

During active fermentation, the beer will be warmer than the ambient temperature of the room, by sometimes as much as 5 to 10 degrees.

OH, nvm, you said the yeast bottle said that. Dunno on that.

I really want my first batch to turn out well. Most ppl I know have told me they have screwed up their first batch. I know it's expecting a lot but I want to make a good effort for a good if not great beer.

It will likely still be good beer! Plus, now you know an area that you can improve to make great beer. Its all part of the learning process.

Whatever, you have already passed the time that is most important for temperature control. At about 72 I don't think it was so high to be too bad. Too high will give fusel alcohols which will give a harsh biting taste. Generally you would need 80's to have real problems.

IMO, you should always ferment at the low end of the yeasts optimal range. Look into making a swamp cooler. It is a tub with about 6 inches of water with the fermenter sitting in it. Add frozen water bottles as needed to keep the temperature low and as stable as possible.

I put a small fan on my swamp cooler, too. I have room temperature set to 75, steady water temp at 68, steady temp on bubbling carboy at 70-71.

Back