Fermentation Stuck!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easymode

Reaction score
So I've run into my first stuck fermentation. I'm hoping y'all can tell me what to do. It's been fermenting in the initial 3-4 days and it's basically stopped. I stirred up the yeast and it is barely bubbling.

So it's a hard root beer recipe. Light DME, 1 pound lactose, 4oz brown sugar, yeast nutrient and energizer, and a new yeast I've never used. Can't remember it's name, got recommended it from a local brew shop that gives clove notes.

Hydrometer started off 1.030. Now it's over 1.040. What's going on? Never had this happen before.

Gravity going backwards? Lactose is unfermentable so add that on to your expected final gravity. Sounds like something might be wonky with your hydrometer, try calibrating it in 60 deg water to see if it reads 1.000

It is impossible for the gravity to go up. Your first reading must have been wrong.

What is the recipe? How big is the batch? A full pound of lactose is a lot even for a 5 gallon batch.

It's for 1 gallon. Trying a recipe someone posted that was popular.

It is strange that the first reading would've been wrong. I'm following instructions for the hydrometer which is you pour until the hydrometer begins to float.

I suppose it is possible my first reading was incorrect. Assuming so, the east is pretty much not fermenting anymore. So what should I do?

Hmmm. I just measures it and it was hovering between 1.020 and 1.019. Guess I measured it wrong last night lol

With that much lactose I am surprised it went that low. It probably will not go any lower.

Back