fermentation started again!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking7

Reaction score
I have brewed a few batches but this occurance has me wondering... I brewed a high gravity porter. Everything fermented nicely and fermentation slowed down after about one week. At that point i reacked to secondary and added coffee beans in a bag. i had no activity for at least 2 weeks until today. Fermentation is definately active as i can see co2 bubbling. I am sure there are some sugars in the crushed beans, but the fermentation seems to be coming from the bottom of the carboy (beans are floating at the top). Sugars released slowly? Any thoughts?

CO2 is just CO2 being released, or an expansion of gasses inside the carboy. It doesn't mean it is fermenting. If you took a gravity reading before secondary, then take one now or later and you have a change in gravity, then it fermented more. The bubbles don't have too much to do with it at this point.

no sugar in coffee beans to my knowledge. did it warm up a bit there today? we had record temps here, and the warming undoubtedly caused many an airlock to bubble. could be barometric pressure too. or as revvy often states in replies to these posts, did the cat give the carboy some login'? point being, it's not fermentation, its co2 releasing from solution and coming out through the airlock.

FWIW, next time wait til FG is reached and stable before removing any brew from the primary vessel.

It did "heat" up here today! Makes sense. Will make sure to wait for final gravity before racking to secondary next time. Thanks for the help

Back