Fermentation stalled after racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almondbeer

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm on my second batch (Brewer's Best Summer Ale, my first batch was Brewer's Best American Cream Ale). My first batch bubbled vigorously at first and slowed down to a new bubble every hour or so after the first week. I racked after a week and it resumed bubbling every 5-10 seconds or so and continued to bubble frequently in the secondary for the days 8-14 after the boil. It turned out pretty good, too, at the end of the day.

My second batch, the Summer Ale, never bubbled as quickly in the primary as the Cream Ale and didn't really pick up the pace after I racked it like the Cream Ale did. I racked after 7 days and it's on its 6th day in the secondary but the action has almost stopped entirely. I can't really see the airlock rise at all and it doesn't look like many if any new bubbles are developing.

Is it normal for some beers to bubble less than others? Should I worry that the beer isn't gonna make it?

About the only thing I can think I did wrong was to pitch the yeast at too warm a temperature. The wort was about 80 degrees (I ran out of time) when I added water, and after adding the water it was about 76 degrees.

OG was 1.046, SG after seven days in the primary was 1.010. I haven't taken a reading since putting it in the secondary.

Any thoughts welcome.

Ok. Rule #1... don't rack to secondary until primary is finished. Primary is finished when fermentation is completely done.

Thanks for the suggestion. The recipes both explicitly say to rack to the secondary after fermentation slows but before fermentation is completed. Why the discrepancy?

First off, yes it's entirely normal for some beers to bubble more than others.

Second, bubbles mean nothing more than there is CO2 leaving solution. Gravity readings are your only solid way to check on the progress of your beer. Take a reading today, then take one in 2 days. If it's the same, then your ferm is done regardless of what your airlock is telling you.

Lastly, unless I'm bulk ageing a beer, I'll only do a secondary if I'm adding flavorings such as cocoa nibs or fruit. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks HexKrak. Is it common for bears to finish fermenting so quickly? What factors contribute to speedier vs. slower fermentation?

Thanks HexKrak. Is it common for bears to finish fermenting so quickly? What factors contribute to speedier vs. slower fermentation?

Beer can finish fermenting quite quick...a few days in some cases. This does not mean that you should rack it though. I leave all my beers in primary for 3 weeks, even if my FG is reached in just one week. It needs time for all the flavors to meld and let the yeast do its thing. Like others said, I don't even use a secondary unless I am adding something like oak.

The speed of fermentation will vary based on the gravity of your beer, the yeast you are using, and the temperature. Generally higher temperatures will ferment quicker than lower temps.

Every fermentation is going to be different from one another. Contributing factors of fermentation and its "speed" are almost endless. I would say that you were most likely very close to your terminal gravity at 1.010. I took like many other member only rack to a secondary if dry hopping or if I want to bulk age a beer big for extended periods.

76 degrees is fine for pitching your yeast so no worries there. I just reused a French Saison yeast cake and within one our my blow off tube sounded like a machine gun and I could only get the wort to 80. Ideally you want to pitch your yeast at its fermentation temperature. Good luck.. I'm sure your brew will be fine. Don't get to wrapped up in the "signs" of fermentation, especially after racking off of your primary yeast cake. Cheers!

Rule #2. Don't try to ferment bears. They will get mad and maul you. ;)

I agree with the above and will emphasize temperature. If you let things get too warm, a ferment can finish VERY quickly indeed, and you can have the off flavors to show for it.

Rule #2, don't secondary :)

Now, I wouldn't go that far. I still like to secondary many of my beers (but not bears).

It takes at least 6 months for bears to ferment fully. Most beers though are done in a few weeks.

Also, the airlock isn't a fermentation gauge, so stop treating it as such.
A gravity reading is the ONLY method to gauging fermentation accurately.

Turned out nicely, albeit a little flat. Thank you all for your input.

Next time I think I'm going to brew a Hamm's clone.

Back