Fermentation Signs and Duration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinebox97

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I'm hoping someone can help a newbie out. It's been a week since I placed my third batch of beer in the primary and I'm starting to get a little worried. I know, I know...don't worry, have a homebrew. Well, being a newbie you know I have to worry. Anyways, I'm worried because the airlock is still bubbling away. Slowly, but still bubbling. Shouldn't the signs of fermentation via the airlock have cut out by now? Theoretically, what is the max duration an airlock could bubble?

Thanks for answering my idiotic question. I'm off to have a homebrew.

Theres really no rules on how long it will bubble. it all depends on what type of beer and a million other things as well. Get a hydrometer and dont worry about the bubbling! :mug:

+1 on getting a hydrometer. Also try to give your brew 3 weeks in the primary before you think about bottling. It will give the yeasties plenty of time to clean up after themselves and give you a better tasting brew

The airlock is just a vent to release CO2 and is no true indication of fermentation. The only way to know that fermentation is finished is with a hydrometer.

Since yeast is a living thing and since there are so many variables in the process of fermentation the length of fermentation will change with every batch.

There was a good article in BYO a while back. I still remember the quote going something like "egg timers are great, but there is no such thing as a fermentation timer".

Unless you really know your process, or are trying to do a quick batch for a special reason, there is no reason not to let your beer sit for 3 weeks. If you have done things right (proper pitch, oxygenage, proper temperature etc) a normal ale will have finished.

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it. It's been three weeks since I pitched the yeast and placed the primary in the closet. This weekend I will be bottling. Oh, and I'll take a final hydrometer reading before doing so...thanks for the helps guys.

Guess you can call me anti hydrometer when it comes to finishing gravity.

I'll start fermentation a little low temperature wise, let it get rolling, when the air lock slows down I gradually rise the temp to 70 (for an ale) for a few days and then drop it back down.

If it's in a carboy I'll let it drop clear before I do anything else. If it's a bucket I'll wait for the air lock to indicate a negative pressure and leave it for at least a week longer.

I can generalize a time frame that all this occurs but I still let it tell me when it's ready.

If you are wanting to maximize time use a hydrometer.

Airlock activity after fermentation is complete is a result of off-gassing of CO2 by the beer. Temperature fluctuations often influence this. I can make my airlock bubble again after it has stopped simply by holding my hand against the side of the fermenter for a few minutes. Extended time (3-4 weeks) and hydrometer are your best indicators.

oh, yes - WELCOME to HBT

Back