Fermentation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreWay78

Reaction score
Hey all!!! I'm a new to the game and recently brewed my first batch of beer!! Its an extract from Mangrove Jack's that I bought from a local supplier. It's been fermenting now since the 9th of August, and went crazy the first couple days. Withing the last 2 days it has almost completely stopped burning through the air stop. Is this normal? I've kept the temperature regulated in the room I'm storing it in. The instructions say 10 day fermentation, then bottle. Am I just being too worrisome about my new baby project? Thanks in advance!!
IMG_20180813_151731_439.jpeg

Sounds normal. Airlock activity doesn't always mean fermentation is done or stalled. Really the only way to tell is consistent hydrometer readings. That being said, I'd let it go 10 days and take gravity readings on day 10 and 11. If they are the same, then it's done and you can bottle whenever you got the time.

I wouldn't go by just "10" days. Yeast don't have calendars. Go by gravity and clearing. If the beer is still really cloudy at 10 days you will have a lot of sediment in your bottles.

The action on your airlock is normal. At what temperature are you fermenting? Look into temperature control of the wort itself instead of the air temperature where the fermenter is. I check the optimum temperature range for each yeast I use and keep the wort temperature within a couple degrees of the middle of the range.

Sounds normal. Airlock activity doesn't always mean fermentation is done or stalled. Really the only way to tell is consistent hydrometer readings. That being said, I'd let it go 10 days and take gravity readings on day 10 and 11. If they are the same, then it's done and you can bottle whenever you got the time.
Thanks a ton!! This is such a fun adventure, and cant wait to make another batch!!

I wouldn't go by just "10" days. Yeast don't have calendars. Go by gravity and clearing. If the beer is still really cloudy at 10 days you will have a lot of sediment in your bottles.

The action on your airlock is normal. At what temperature are you fermenting? Look into temperature control of the wort itself instead of the air temperature where the fermenter is. I check the optimum temperature range for each yeast I use and keep the wort temperature within a couple degrees of the middle of the range.
I'm fermenting right around the 25°c mark. Should I check gravity at this point? It's been 6 days now, and am just quite curious.

I'm fermenting right around the 25°c mark. Should I check gravity at this point? It's been 6 days now, and am just quite curious.

No point in checking now. We've all been there with our first brews; constantly checking the temps, taking multiple gravity readings during the process, ect. Honestly, I'd suggest waiting around 14 days before taking a gravity reading. At this point in my brewing, I just pack it away for 3 weeks to ferment, take a gravity reading and if it is close to the projected FG, I package it.

A typical fermentation takes 5-7 days, then a couple of days to make sure it is done and allow the yeast to totally finish what they do. Sometimes off flavors are created during active fermentation. Allowing the yeast time will clean these up. You also want time for the krausen to drop, sediment and yeast to settle out of solution. I would go a minimum of 10 days. I always go 14 days or longer before I do anything with my beers.

Hey all!!! I'm a new to the game and recently brewed my first batch of beer!! Its an extract from Mangrove Jack's that I bought from a local supplier. It's been fermenting now since the 9th of August, and went crazy the first couple days. Withing the last 2 days it has almost completely stopped burning through the air stop. Is this normal? I've kept the temperature regulated in the room I'm storing it in. The instructions say 10 day fermentation, then bottle. Am I just being too worrisome about my new baby project? Thanks in advance!!View attachment 583701
I am also new to brewing! I pitched my yeast on the 11th. Just to ease your mind I will share some pic. The first is the 13th, second that afternoon and the third was this morning. I have a few different things going on.

1. I have a old refrigerator that I use as a fermentation chamber. I would highly suggest this for fermentation.

2. I am using a sealed vessel instead of airlock. But fermentation seems to be slowing on me now either way.

Pics only to show the rapid changes in fermentation, again this could be different/faster under pressure
20180813_070250.jpeg
20180813_183612.jpeg
20180815_065025.jpeg

Back