fermentation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrcomito

Reaction score
I brewed my first ever batch from a True Brew kit about 36 hours ago. I have noticed that the airlock has stopped and our krausen has fallen. It has stopped rolling and is very cloudy in general. I pitched at just under 90F per the instructions. The temp has dropped to around 70F. What happened? Is it ok?

Yup, it's fine. It just means the yeast has eaten up most of the sugars and is starting to slow down. You'll see it start to clump together then drop out of solution, leaving clear beer.

EDIT: And next time, pitch closer to 70 degrees. Yeast produce off-flavors at higher temps. If you can, try to ferment in the low to mid 60's. A cool basement or swamp cooler work quite well. But for this batch, relax, it'll be tasty because you brewed it.

Thanks guys! My wife and I are relieved. Can't wait to see how it goes.
We are fermenting in a 6 gal glass carboy. Should we keep it in the dark? Should we leave the liquid in the carboy for 3 weeks and then bottle?

Dark is good, or just cover with a towel. UV in sunlight "skunks" hops.
3 weeks sounds good...what style is it?

We have it in a cupboard without a door and a towel wrapped around it. It is a pale ale kit from True Brew.

Since I pitched at too high a temp and the yeast seem to have petered out, would it be advisable to add more yeast, or just let it ride?

Do you have a hydrometer? That's the only way to know if it "petered out" or just finished it's job quickly. My bet would be the latter, given the temp.

I do have one, but do not have a vessel to measure in. Can you recommend an alternative? I assume that I should rack a sample out of the carboy and reinsert bung and airlock.

Right - sanitize anything you're using to take a sample, then seal it back up. Did the hydrometer come in a plastic tube? That's what I use for samples. Anything tall, skinny and transparent will do. PS - don't put the sample back in, drink it! YUM.

Since I pitched at too high a temp and the yeast seem to have petered out, would it be advisable to add more yeast, or just let it ride?

Pitching in the 80-90 range doesn't really damage the yeast, it just increases the likelihood off off-flavors being produced by the yeast. Let 'er ride.

RDWHAHB, dude. i'm guessing this is the same beer you posted about on another thread...? pitching at 90 probably got the yeast going really fast, at this point it very well may be done fermenting. leave it be for a couple weeks and then start checking FG. you're gonna be ok, and your beer's gonna be fine too.:mug:

NordeastBrewer77 said:
RDWHAHB, dude. i'm guessing this is the same beer you posted about on another thread...? pitching at 90 probably got the yeast going really fast, at this point it very well may be done fermenting. leave it be for a couple weeks and then start checking FG. you're gonna be ok, and your beer's gonna be fine too.:mug:

Thanks for the homebrew code. Had to search that one out. Point taken and my wife says thanks.

Thanks for the homebrew code. Had to search that one out. Point taken and my wife says thanks.

:mug: yeah, it happens to all of us. i over worry about things, but i've learned to leave it at just that. unless something i see, smell or taste justifies a worry, i simply relax and let yeast do what they do best, which is make good beer for me to relax with. :tank:

Latest posts

Back