Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theminister

Reaction score
Afternoon All -

First up i just wanted to send out a collective thanks to everyone who's contributed on the mead forum and made my first mead experience a little less intimidating. In part because of the interest drummed up by everyones enthusiasm on the forum I've gone ahead and whipped up my first batch of mead using the recipie from Charlie P's The Complete Joy:

1/2 tbsp - Irish Moss
1 tbsp - gypsum
4 tsp - acid blend
1/4 tsp - yeast nutrient
Wyeast - Sweet Mead
15 lbs - unpasteurized clover honey
spring water

The fermentation was going as expected for the first ~6 weeks - couldn't have been happier, but as of last Sunday (Feb 24), when I re-racked to my secondary, all fermentation action has dissipated. My SG reading last Sunday was 1.04 (OG - 1.1) ; as of yesterday we are still parked at 1.04 with no action in the airlock. Im wondering if anyone out there can help me understand what's happened and any provide solutions to my fermentation issue... I'm on the verge of pitching more yeast but am hesitant to do so if there's another potential solve. This is where I turn to you, if there are any other possible solutions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Much appreciated everyone!

Rich

what was the OG? that yeast will stop around 13-14% ABV.

you really needed some yeast energizer. that could be why the yeast has stopped prematurely.

The OG was ~ 1.10.

As an update, yesterday I disolved 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient in warm water and pitched it into the carboy. Assuming this results in no fermentation activity would it be advisable for me to add more yeast?

-Rich

Back