Fermentation not starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi, I brew a witbier with m21 yeast and after 48 hours in my fermentation refrigirator (60°), the fermentation is not starting. There is absolutly no activity.

The yeast expire in 2023, so I dont understand why. Is there something I can do to help?

Thank

Looking at the yeast you don't want it colder than 64°F. Raise the temperature to around 65-68 and hold it there.

The cool temp is causing the yeast to start much slower.

From Mangrove Jack's Site:

Usage Directions: Sprinkle directly on up to 23 L (6 US Gal) of wort. For best results, ferment at 18-25 degrees C (64-77 degrees F).

Yeah, but 60° is the refrigirator temp, not the wort. I assume that the fermentation will raise the beer temp to 68. Tell me if I wrong. Or maybe I should put the keezer at 68 and lower it to 60 when the fermentation as began?

Do its a better option to pitch new yeast or it will be ok?

Thank

Last edited:
Yeah, but 60° is the refrigirator temp, not the wort. I assume that the fermentation will raise the beer temp to 68. Tell me if I wrong. Or maybe I should put the keezer at 68 and lower it to 60 when the fermentation as began?

Do its a better option to pitch new yeast or it will be ok?

Thank

At the peak of fermentation the activity of the yeast will raise the temperature but how much it raises it depends on the wort starting temp and the ambient temp. Your wort is in a refrigerator that is 60 degrees. If fermentation gets going, it will only raise the temp by 1 or 2 degrees, not the 8 that you are expecting. Were you to warm the wort to 72 degrees and let the beer temp raise to whatever level the yeast were capable of, the beer would likely warm to 80 to 84 degrees.

Go ahead and raise the keezer temp to 65 and hold it there. That should be warm enough for the yeast to get started and still keep the beer from getting too warm.

Back