Fermentation next steps (lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVHBass

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I decided to do my first lager and followed this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f60/black-magic-lager-302123/

I only did a 2 gallon batch instead of 5 so I converted everything but I still pitched a full packet of yeast. This was one of my first all grain attempts so my OG came out at 1.043 instead of 1.049. Its been fermenting at 50 degrees and I did a gravity reading at 1 week which came at about 1.021. I checked the gravity again today (10 days since brew) and it is still at 1.021. I was planning on following the recipe and waiting til the gravity got to ~1.015 before doing the diacetyl rest but now it looks like my fermentation is stuck. Should i try repitching another pack of yeast? Or should I continue on to the diacetyl rest and then the lagering?

I would start slowly raising the temp to your D-rest maybe 2 degrees a day until you reach it. Is it possible your mash temp was a little higher then 152? Either way i wouldnt sweat it, it will still be beer.

Yeah I think the mash temp got a bit out of control at times...I think my thermometer was a little wacky.

If your temp was higher then 152 you will have more unfermentable sugars in your wort. That could be a reason your not able to get it down lower. I would still slowly raise the temp until you hit your D-rest.

I aim for my D rest at 1.020. I bring it up to room temp for 3-4 days and then I rack to secondary, then I put it back in the FC at 50, wait a day and then start dropping the temperature to lagering temps. It hasn't failed me yet.

Back