Fermentation kicked up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yabadabadu

Reaction score
hi all this is glen... too angry to pay stupid money to booze i decided to try make my own.. back in the days i had done some research about this, but obviously so much has changed and developed during the past 15 years.
i actually have a question, not knowing how the forum works i noticed i cant post in other sections so i will type it here
i created two wash thingies whatever they are, 25 liter plastic containers with lids, made the airlock with hose etc.. basic.. prepared a wash 3 kg sugar in each, (noticed a bit low ) its just a test run.. home is currently around 20-25 degrees celcius, i let the containers sit with open lids for a day or two to allow the yeast to multiply.. then i added other ingredients that i found to be yeast nutrients.. vitamin b complex, magnesium pills and zinc.. and some cereal.. well two days of bubbling nice one got slower than the other, so i picked up samples and measured the alcohol content, the weak one was at 10% and the other at 14%, trying to figure why one began dying before the other, i added extra sugary water,, no change.. then i added more vitamins and minerals and boys began bubbling again.. what exactly happened here ?

Hi yabadabadu and welcome. Is it possible that the size or the viablitity of the two colonies of yeast you added were different? Or that the nutrients you added to each were not identical? or that you had aerated one more than the other?

Hi yabadabadu and welcome. Is it possible that the size or the viablitity of the two colonies of yeast you added were different? Or that the nutrients you added to each were not identical? or that you had aerated one more than the other?
hi, and thank you!.
amount change is possible, initial starters were same but later on i added dry yeast on top one of which foamed later on and overflow a bit. but since i left the lids open shouldnt both fully colonize anyway? since they both increased fermentation after i added vitamins i thought maybe the initial vitamin dose wasnt the same for both, as i shook pills in a bottle and just added in the mix, didnt pay attention if its even or not. and an update, alcohol level today, shows one wash at 20% odd, and the other 18%, and they still bubble.. this is just normal yeast wash.. i'm scratching my head

I am not sure that you are seeing two significantly different batches if one is at 18 % and still active and the second is at 20% and is still active. I would wait until active fermentation has ceased completely and you are getting precisely the same readings over a week and then you can ask if the batches are different what the cause of the difference might be.
Viability of the colony may be dependent on many things and the fact that you left the lids "open" may have zero impact if you damaged the viability when you pitched the yeast.

Back