Fermentation instructions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp

Reaction score
The instructions that came with my brew kit says to wait 5-7 days for fermentation to finish. I understand getting a gravity reading and seeing if the yeast are finished....Now my question is would it be in my best interest to let this beer sit in the ferment bucket for about a month then bottle it? Or bottle it then let it sit for a month? Is there any wrong way to let the beer age? or has anyone seen one way better then the other? The last batch I did was the same brand but I feel the 5-7 day period was a little short. Thoughts?

You can let it sit for a month and then bottle it, that will result in more uniform tasting and looking bottles and you can be sure without measuring that the yeast that you pitched have done what they can. Bottling and then adding will give each bottle subtle differences.

I think I will do that, let it sit in the fermentor bucket for a month then bottle....see how that works out. I feel the instructions that come with the kit aren't always the best to follow when going threw these stages. Thanks for the response!
:mug:

Most of the time my beers are in the primary for a month anyway. I haven't had a bad batch yet

Great thing about brewing is that it can be as simple or as complicated as you want.

Personally, I've had beers that turned out great after 3 weeks (dunkelweizen) and ones that were great after 6 weeks. Fermentation temperature and yeast health will have a greater effect than one or two weeks.
Cheers

Back