Fermentation in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conebone69

Reaction score
I've noticed some brewers on youtube having their primary fermentation happen in their carboys and not their normal buckets. What's the advantage if there is one? Where would you transfer for secondary fermentation if you were doing that?

Advantage is:

-you can see what's going on
-easier to keep glass clean
-prettier than a bucket

Disadvantage:

-shards of glass
-heavier
-more expensive

Most "primary" carboys are 6.5G to give you enough krausen headspace.

Jason

IMHO:

What's the advantage if there is one?
Glass carboys will last longer since they aren't plastic, and can't be scratched. And easier to peek at the fermentation without opening the top.

Where would you transfer for secondary fermentation if you were doing that?
Another carboy.

Don't you kinda want to transfer though to help the beer settle before bottling?

Don't you kinda want to transfer though to help the beer settle before bottling?

Transferring doesn't "settle" a beer, when you think about it. What settles the trub is time, which can be in either vessel. I usually leave my beers two-three weeks in the fermenter and don't use a clearing vessel.

Why would the beer settle in a secondary and not in a primary? Normally, there isn't a need to rack. Don't bother with a secondary until you know why and when you would need one.

I'm still learning and have really found a passion for my new hobby. I'm on my 3rd batch now and love the whole process... well except for the clean up.

Care to share why and when I would need a secondary?

Nope. If you leave it alone for 3-4 weeks, the trub/yeast will be tightly packed on the bottom. When siphoning into your bottle bucket, you can virtually get every ounce off of the top of that trub/yeast cake. All of my beers have been crystal clear by leaving them in primary and then carefully transferring on bottle day.

Care to share why and when I would need a secondary?

When you are conducting an actual secondary fermentation, such as when racking the beer onto fruit, or when you are making a beverage that requires bulk aging for longer than 3-4 weeks.

If you thnk about it, leaving the beer in primary as long as possible results in a clearer beer in less time. When you rack it to secondary to clear it, you stir up sediment that takes another couple weeks to settle when you could have just had clear beer out of the primary.

Hi, I just brewed my first batch. If you wait 3 weeks and most of the yeast settles will there be enough still in the beer for carbonation? Could that end up being a reason for flat beer? Of all things I don't want flat beer!

Hi, I just brewed my first batch. If you wait 3 weeks and most of the yeast settles will there be enough still in the beer for carbonation?

Yes. Here's a little tip for you if you are worried. When you are siphoning into the bottle bucket, you can hit the yeast cake with the tip of your racking cane or auto siphon for a second and suck up a few cells. Most likely if your aren't careful you will probably do this anyway.

Back