fermentation in boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Powell

Reaction score
I had a technical issue and could not pump out my boil kettle...so I let the beer cool off in the garage in the kettle and went ahead and pitched the yeast. Will this make a skunky beer sitting in the kettle fermenting with the hops just sitting in the bottom?

Can you seal it properly? If so it should ferment ok. Might not be the tastiest beer ever though.

I had a technical issue and could not pump out my boil kettle...so I let the beer cool off in the garage in the kettle and went ahead and pitched the yeast. Will this make a skunky beer sitting in the kettle fermenting with the hops just sitting in the bottom?

So have you racked to a carboy or bucket? The beer may be okay, but you'll be needing that boil pot.

no I was not able to seal it up totally...but do have a lid on it. I have just repaired the problem and now I am able to pump it out. I have half a mind to pump it out into the carboy and seal it. However it has already started fermenting.

Back