Fermentation generating heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muskogeee

Reaction score
I guess I'm probably answering my own question here, but since fermentation is a metabolic process I'm assuming it generates a small amount of heat right?

I pitched my yeast at 71 degrees and since then my bucket has been kept in a 68 degree room. If I use my infrared thermometer to check objects around the bucket, the desk it's on, the wall behind it, the dresser next to it, they are all about 69 degrees, but if I check the bucket, it's at 74 :confused:.

Anyone else ever noticed this?

Should I be worried about it? I can't really keep our bedroom any colder than that or the gf and I will freeze. I think the yeast upper temperature range was 75 :-/

Should I be worried about it? I can't really keep our bedroom any colder than that or the gf and I will freeze. I think the yeast upper temperature range was 75 :-/

Next time be ready for using a swamp cooler or similar to drop the temp.

This time is probably is too late but what yeast is involved. Make a big difference. US-05 at 70/71 I would not be worried.

If you top off to recipe volume in the fermenter, get a couple gallons of water chilling in the fridge a day or two before brew day to top off with. I chill the hot wort down to 75F or so. then strain into the fermenter & top off to recipe volume with the chilled water. Gets it down to 65F or even lower. Keeping it in a chilly room will work to help keep temps down.

Latest posts

Back