Fermentation curveball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysab

Reaction score
This thread was the beginning of my second batch:
Code:
[URL="https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dme-hard-dissolve-135825/"]https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dme-hard-dissolve-135825/[/URL]

So today saw no activity in the airlock. It's been just shy of 48 hours since I pitched the yeast. From reading these forums, I'm guessing it's safe. Here are some of my observations which tell me it might be doing what it's supposed to:

Condensation on the inside of the fermenter lid: Positive?
Super foamy Hydro Sample: Positive?
OG 1040, Hydro reading now 1020: Positive?

From what I've read here is that the airlock is not a reliable test of fermentation, but shouldn't I see SOMETHING from it? I sat next to the fermenter for half an hour, and it didn't bubble once, and the levels in the two chambers are exactly even. I can't see any krausen because of the condensation, but I can see a line of scum above the wort line. But the wort was very foamy, so I don't know if it's krausen, or just dried foam. Am I just being paranoid?

If your gravity is dropping, there's active yeast.

I'm still on my first batch and I had to wait about 36 hours for activity to happen. General rule of thumb here appears to be that if there's no activity in 72 hours, re-pitch.

You could have a leak in the fermenter lid gasket, this would allow the pressure to escape without entering the airlock. If the SG is going down then you must have fermentation. So all is well.

Would it be safe to take the lid off and check the gasket? I thought about that, and even tried to tighten the lid. It barely budged, but I was afraid to take it off and expose the brew to oxygen. It's on straight, so it's not cross threaded. Sorry for all the basic "i should probably know this" questions, but this is only my second batch, and I've already learned a ton of stuff.

Would it be safe to take the lid off and check the gasket? I thought about that, and even tried to tighten the lid. It barely budged, but I was afraid to take it off and expose the brew to oxygen. It's on straight, so it's not cross threaded. Sorry for all the basic "i should probably know this" questions, but this is only my second batch, and I've already learned a ton of stuff.

You're fine. The best course of action is probably to do nothing. If the SG is dropping, you have a protective layer of CO2 on top of the beer. Don't do anything to disturb it.

Edit: yes, taking the lid off and checking the gasket would be safe, but there is no real reason to do so.

Back