Fermentation Controller II - Anybody used it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
I just picked up a chest freezer off craigslist and i'm looking to get a fermentation controller. I need something that will do both heating and cooling. The Controller II from Williams seems like one of the better controllers i've found as far as features and price. Anybody used it? Is there a better option out there?

Here's the one I'm looking at?
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CONTROLLER_II_P183C100.cfm

I just picked up a chest freezer off craigslist and i'm looking to get a fermentation controller. I need something that will do both heating and cooling. The Controller II from Williams seems like one of the better controllers i've found as far as features and price. Anybody used it? Is there a better option out there?

Here's the one I'm looking at?
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CONTROLLER_II_P183C100.cfm

It's a little spendy, but nice that it's pre-wired, especially if you're not electrically savy. That's a privatly labeled Johnson Controls stat, the other popular option around here is a Ranco control. I use Johnson professionally, and have found them to be very reliable.

I use mine to its fullest. Main chore is running in heat mode for my converted upright freezer turned into a smoker running 2 hot plates for heat. Second, use it to measure temperature in my ice chest to help control water temp for fermentation. If I had a working freezer it would be running it as well.

I have one and it works great.

I have it on my fermentation fridge where I am doing my first lager.

I taped a piece of foam pipe insulation to the side of my carboy and slid the probe between the carboy and the insulation to get more accurate control.

Back