Fermentation Container Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirPublius

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure my last question posted, so here is my question again, just in case: I'm a newbie, didn't buy the right size containers for the recipe I ended up deciding on, and was wondering if it would work fine to make pear cider simply with one gallon plastic jugs that contained distilled water..you know that disposable jugs like milk jugs....but there was no milk ever in these?? The bung/airlock fit them perfectly, and it seems like pear cider/perry takes less time to ferment than a lot of other types of alcohol, so do you think using plastic jugs like that might work fine? Any major/obvious problem I am overlooking being a newbie that would make that not work?? I'm not looking at making word class wine mind you. I just want it to work. Thanks!

Well,I quit using those jugs for storing PBW or Starsan in,since the seems across the bottom started leaking over time. But they're ok for awhile getting local spring water at the source. The plastic is to thin in my opinion.

That's something to think about. I appreciate that input. I'm kind of in a bind because I live way out in the country and needed to start today. I COULD just do one batch in one of my 5 gallon glass carboys, but I really wanted to try the different yeasts out, plus, then I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak. I think I might go ahead and try it with the plastic jugs here in a few minutes, unless anyone reads this in the next hour and comes up with a reason I shouldn't use plastic jugs. I understand they might not be ideal, but I was more interested in if there was something I am overlooking that would make them simply not work at all. I mean, the bung fits it nicely, and I guess its food grade plastic since its used to hold water....I'll check back here soon before I start in case anyone else has any input I should know. Thanks.

Totally agree. I'm not rough with my things, but after filling 4 of these gallon containers with filtered water for only the second time, one of them had a leak at the seam. I wouldn't trust them for beer/cider.

I was sort of thinking more so just using them THIS time, since I didn't have anything else, as a one time last resort....not over and over. I understand those flimsy jugs are not ideal, but again, I was more concerned about them, I don't know, expanding too much, or the brew being caustic to the jug, or, I just don't know what...the unknown. If the biggest thing I have to worry about is it leaking, I could deal with that threat, just this time. I just want to make sure it would ferment properly and whatnot and not have a big off-taste or something like that.

Back