Fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titch10169

Reaction score
Hi guys ive just converted an upright fridge freezer into a fermentor chamber I have just put in an on the rocks cider kit im using a coopers vessel the one with the krousen collar the one without the air lock. Ive made a thermowell and using a digital thermomiter and my stc-1000 temp controler probe both in the well both reading same temp 18.5 but the stick on thermomiter u get with the kit is reading 16.5. Im right in guessing the way u read the temp on thoes is that if theres 3 temps lit up its the one in the middle so if its right then its like 2 degrees out to the probes in the thermowell any sugestions on how to get them the same

The stick on thermometer strips are fairly accurate. Somewhere here in HBT there was a post on testing the strip versus the thermowell temp. On a plastic bucket the strip was within one degree. On a glass carboy almost exactly the same.
You may have a temp difference because of the amount of time the fermentor has been in the frig. Another day, or half day, the center of the wort will equalize in temp to the outside of the bucket.

Thanks for the reply mate yeah its only been in 24 hrs so far as its my first time using this set up so ill just monitor it i suppose. So if the temp was out by 1 degree on a plastic bucket then that means that the temp on my probe to the strip is really only 1 degree out dose that sound right and make sence ?

Thanks for the reply mate yeah its only been in 24 hrs so far as its my first time using this set up so ill just monitor it i suppose. So if the temp was out by 1 degree on a plastic bucket then that means that the temp on my probe to the strip is really only 1 degree out dose that sound right and make sence ?

Right, most likely will never be enough of a difference to worry about.

I need to get my temp controller wired up.

That sounds great then! Thanks also ive got some thermal pase to fill out the air issues in the thermowell but getting it down a 15" well aint going to b easy lol any ideas on how or anything else to use instead ive heard sand but not really convinced and yes get your temp controller wired up mate it dont take long

No sound advice to offer on thermowells placement and probe use. I only use glass and will have the probe, under insulation, on the outside of the carboy.

Latest posts

Back