Fermentation Chamber Heating Source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millhouse9

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently built a fermentation chamber and am preparing to find a way to heat it for Fall/Winter. I have researched and it seems like an inexpensive way to do this is to buy a reptile or seed sprouting mat. I ran across this one on amazon and was wondering if this would suffice to warm my 15 cubic foot chest freezer fermentation chamber. I do like to brew saisons occasionally so I would need temps to get up to 90 degrees. Thanks in advance!

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MT10006--19-1-2-Inch-Seedling/dp/B0001WV010/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407369143&sr=8-2&keywords=heat+pad+for+seed+starting

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be waiting patiently to see the response you get. I'm about at that stage too, and will need to get something together soon as well.

i use a simple lamp. with a 13W flourescent bulb i can get to 80, with a 40W filament bulb i can get to 90+ easily.

i use a simple lamp. with a 13W flourescent bulb i can get to 80, with a 40W filament bulb i can get to 90+ easily.

And then you just cover your carboys to prevent the light affecting them? I'm really leaning towards this seed mat that I posted, just wondering if anyone that has experience with these and if they can reach temps of 90 degrees for a 15 cubic foot freezer. Thanks!

Back