Fermentation chamber build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shtank

Reaction score
I'm planning to hack a mini fridge to make my ferm chamber. Im following Elco's guide https://www.brewpi.com/fridge-hacking-guide/

My question is do you see anything wrong with installing two outlets for a heater and a circulation fan inside of the fridge? The only thing I can think of will be moisture so I will use dielectric grease to try and combat it.

These are the outlets I plan to use: https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_63&products_id=274

Thanks for your advice

fwiw in my two fermentation fridges I have duplex outlets with one side wired always-on for a stirring fan and the other side controlled by a BrewPi minion for a lightbulb heater. I've never had any issues with them wrt moisture, unlike my keezer my fridges all run pretty dry...

Cheers!

I don't use a fan in my mini-fridge ferm chamber, never even occurred to me to use one. As long as I use the stopper and tubing exiting to an airlock jar arrangement, I don't need to do anything to the freezer compartment.

I also didn't do interior plugs--rather, I ran the wires through a grommeted hole drilled into the top (as per pic below). Obviously you have to cut the cord (the Inkbird probe fits through with no cutting), and then attach a plug to it.

I also drilled a hole for a piece of silicone tubing that I draw off the fermenter and terminate in a jar as an airlock. I've since just run it through the hole without the grommet, it seals perfectly.

minifermchamber.jpg
minigrommets.jpg
ministoppertubing.jpg

My experience with mini fridges in a humid environment (Houston TX) is there is always condensation on the evaporator and I need some kind of collection tub and/or drain hole to manage water dripping from the plate. There is also inevitable splashing of wort, sanitizer, or ferm blowoffs.

IMO leave the AC outside of the fridge, and only wire in what you need to directly operate fans and heater. DC computer fans are cheap and only need 5-12 VDC, which will be much safer inside the fermenter. If wires are thin enough, you don't need to drill holes. Just tape the wires in place at bottom of door opening, close the door on the wires and adjust to make sure there is still a reasonable seal.

Back