Fermentation chamber build: fail/win?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GonzoNerd

Reaction score
Stick with me, I believe this is in the right sub-forum.

I have been brewing for a few years off and on when my schedule and my family permit. I decided that it was time that I try to manage my fermentation temperatures a bit better. My last house had a basement that maintained a decent temperature, but I just moved to Washington and basements aren't common (neither are AC units) so I decided to tackle a fermentation chamber.

I found a cheap 1.7cf refrigerator at best buy for $30 and figured I could make a smaller version of this that would keep me in business:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/diy-fermentation-chamber.250490/

Fridge: 0808161938.jpg

I know that a freezer would have been easier but I already have keezer and refrigerator in the garage and I didn't think that SWMBO would approve the space for another freezer. Besides, I move a lot for work and I am only allowed a set amount of weight for household goods. Besides with my plan this would be quite a bit smaller.

Now, completely forget about what you read above. The day after I placed the order to best-buy for the fridge I found this magnificent bastard on craigslist.
0808161942.jpg

I thought that the price must be a misprint and I was worried about some type of scam, but after driving an hour to see it I picked it up and brought it home.

It is a 1952 International harvester refrigerator. The previous owner repainted it and had the chrome re-done. There were a few rust spots on the inside and on the back so some rustoleum was applied. I cleaned it up, put on a coat of automotive wax, shined the chrome and got her all pretty. I transferred my taps from my keezer and put on a drip tray.

0808161942d.jpg

0804161729.jpg

I didn't want to scratch up the floor, so I built a rolling dolly for it to sit on and sprayed it in white enamel.

0804161729a.jpg

SWMBO told me a few weeks ago that if I had a kegerator that looked nicer than my keezer then I would be able to move it inside. Luckily this one passes the test.

The first night on it froze my beer line, so I had to move my temperature controller over. Otherwise it is working perfectly.

Oh, and I now have a fermentation chamber in the garage. I had to buy a second controller but it is now happily keeping my Pliny clone at 60 degrees.

0808161938a.jpg

I am still pretty excited. It shined up pretty well with the coat of wax, I might see if I can put a bit of a shine on the drip tray.

In a good news/bad news situation it looks like I can get a third keg in there. I did my initial measurements with my 20lb CO2 bottle but I decided to use my 5lb in there. So I need to figure out how to add another tap without throwing off the aesthetic.

I got it for $100 and the previous owner threw in 2 ball lock kegs that he had lying around.

From the looks of the it you could always add a third tap between and a little above (or below) the other two.

I knew there was a reason that I hung out here. Brass shank collars would really set this one off!

I'm still debating on the third tap, if I do add one I was thinking in the middle a little bit above the other two but I am going to hold off for now.

Again this is only my opinion, but if I was going to add a third tap either above or below I would want it to be the same distance from the other two as they are from each other making each tap the point of an equilateral triangle. I think that would be the best way to make it not look crowded. If you do that above, your tap handle is going to start running into the emblems up top. If you do it below I think it would be too close to the drip tray to be useful.

At any rate send lots of pics when its done, that thing is a beauty.

You suck. I've been looking for an old fridge for 3 years. It's beautiful. I'd drink beer from it any day. Congrats. ����

Latest posts

Back