Fermentation blowout!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXweirdobrew

Reaction score
So I check on my lemon wheat beer that was on its first 24 hours of fermentation and noticed that the krausen buildup was so bad that it was spewing out of my fermentation lock. I felt I have no choice but to take the fermentation lock off. I placed a towel around the neck of the carboy to catch all of the bubbles that are coming out of the carboy. Right now I just decided to let the bubbles act as the best form of oxygen barrier as I can. I went ahead and turned down the temp in my ferm chamber to be on the more bottom limit for this yeast in an attempt to slow down the activity. I have never had such an active fermentation.

1st-Am I safe just letting the bubbles act as an oxygen barrier until they die down to where I can put the ferm lock back on? If not then do I have any hope with this batch?

2nd-The only thing I did differently with this batch is a single pitched the yeast instead of double pitching it. I also agitated the wort in the carboy after cooling it down from a boil for the first time. I also put the wort through a funnel with a filter. Do yall think I oxygenated it too much. Just thinking how I got such an active fermenatation.

2012-03-20_13-17-51_598.jpg

2012-03-20_13-18-01_932.jpg

The krausen being expelled will serve as an effective barrier to contamination. I wouldn't have turned down the temp. A very active fermentation calls for no "fixing". A sudden drop in temp can arrest a healthy fermentation.

BTW... You should tape down the RTD to the side of the carboy with some bubble wrap to insulate it from the air temp. It will help you actually control the beer temp instead of the temp of the freezer air ( the beer can be as much as 4 degrees warmer than the air around it from heat produced by the yeast)

I don't know what your fermentation temps were (wort temp not ambient within the chamber). An active ferment alone doesn't necessarily indicate a problem, though high ferm temps can cause an unusually active fermentation.

BTW... You should tape down the RTD to the side of the carboy with some bubble wrap to insulate it from the air temp. It will help you actually control the beer temp instead of the temp of the freezer air ( the beer can be as much as 4 degrees warmer than the air around it from heat produced by the yeast)

I will have to give that a try.

Back