fermentation and conditioning temp's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhot55

Reaction score
I currently have a few too many batches for my chest freezer and the basement is getting a little too hot (70-75*). Aside from alternative measures to keep the primary/secondary cooler (wet towel/fan, etc) would it be OK to take a batch out of the chest freezer that's been regulated to 63-65* seemingly after fermentation or at least 3/4 of the way fermented (basically after 8-12 days in primary) and put a new batch in to ferment.
I understand the higher temp's usually lead to off flavors in most ales (fusel alcohols, etc). However, fermentation will be nearly finished if not done completely and is just conditioning. i would rather condition at cooler temps, but would 5-7 days in the secondary at 65-75* (depending on room temp) be an issue?

SO, after that convoluted mess, would conditioning in secondary at higher temp's be detrimental, or would all be OK because fermentation should be finished after 8-12 days?

General consensus around here is that secondary temps aren't as important, since bulk fermentation has already occurred. The temps you've described aren't very extreme, and I speak from experience when I say that conditioning at 70-75 won't hurt things at all.

General consensus around here is that secondary temps aren't as important, since bulk fermentation has already occurred. The temps you've described aren't very extreme, and I speak from experience when I say that conditioning at 70-75 won't hurt things at all.

+1, I'd take out one of the batches in your chest freezer that have been there for the longest amount of time. Most of the esters and off flavors in beer are caused in the first few days of fermentation, in the times of high krausen. In addition, I've fermented a Pale Ale at temps up to 78F with Wyeast 1056 strain and it came out clean tasting and delicious. I wouldn't recommend temps this high, but 70-75F shouldn't ruin a beer.

In addition, I've fermented a Pale Ale at temps up to 78F with Wyeast 1056 strain and it came out clean tasting and delicious. I wouldn't recommend temps this high, but 70-75F shouldn't ruin a beer.

Wow. That's hot. I had some problems yesterday with temperature. It was hot here in NJ. After pitching the Nottingham, I came back 2 hours later and saw my ice bath was sitting at 74F, which is the basement temperature!

I ran to the store to get some ice and dropped it back down to 64-66F. Today I woke up and it was 70F. Dropped some ice to bring it back to 64F.

I can't believe a basement can get this hot. For the record, the water bath is up to the neck of the carboy. Were talking about 5-6 gallons, plus what is in the carboy.

I could not believe the temperature would change from 65-70F overnight. I hope it is below 70F when I get home from work.

Then again these are temperatures taken at the top of the bin. The temperature at the bottom of the bin feel lower.

Mike

usually the basement styays between 65-70 during the summer, but it's been brutal in Staten Island (NYC) for the last 10 days....so the basement has crept up to the mid 70's....ughh!

usually the basement styays between 65-70 during the summer, but it's been brutal in Staten Island (NYC) for the last 10 days....so the basement has crept up to the mid 70's....ughh!

Even the ground water here is hot.

Anyways. I've been icing the carboy down to below 60F and using a fan. After 8-10 hours, it'll be back up to 69F.

I'm not going to worry too much about it. Back when I brewed at my brother-in-laws, I never paid that much attention to fermentation temperatures. I'm sure a few of those brews got fermented hotter than they should, but luckily they all turned out good. I think the darker styles (which I typically brew) hide flaws better.

Back