Ferment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcounter

Reaction score
I'm brewing my second batch! First one was great. I was gifted an Oktoberfest kit (I don't like Oktoberfest) so I decided to tinker. I did a 5 gallon batch with white labs 568 (Belgian saison) and added some 4oz of brewing smoke. I pitched yesterday things are going great, perfect start to ferment. Sadly I dropped my hydro so I could not get a reading. I'm writing to see how long you guys think I should keep er in the primary? I was thinking the general 4 week rule? I will not be moving to a secondary. Help!!

Congratulations on a successful first batch and getting the pesky first broken hydrometer out of the way.

Instead of guessing, order another hydrometer.

If money is not a problem buy another hydrometer. That said it should be done in 4 weeks time if not a lot sooner.:mug:

How will I know what the final gravity should be? It's original was 1.067 (could be wrong, I don't have the box in front of me). Let's be hypothetical and say I don't order one? How long would you recommend?

Hypothetically it could be done in 10 days if all of the things happen quickly. Now to be safe I would not bottle for 3 weeks. If time is not a problem I would wait 4 weeks. Final gravity is a variable it changes from brew to brew. With out knowing the recipe and temperatures all we could do is guess. To check the final gravity with a hydrometer is simple and to confirm it only takes a 3 day time period. I would strongly advise against bottling in less than 3 weeks if you don't have a hydrometer, Beer is not worth someone being hurt. Bottles can explode.:mug:

So I cannot get a hydrometer here until 8-5 to 8-8. Will that be too long? Sorry still a total newbie.

Are you saying you can have a new hydrometer by next week ?
That's not to late at all if you only pitched yesterday.
I don't test my SG until after 21 days.
In my opinion even after fermentation is complete there is still some cleaning up that the yeast needs to do.

Thats great that you are experimenting after your first batch.
Great way to learn. Hope it works out for you. Sounds like it will taste great.

Especially since this is only your second batch, I would be very careful about fermentation being complete before bottling. Try checking after 18 days and again after 21 days to see if gravity is stable. If it is, bottle. And, in my opinion, don't open it other than that. Congrats on your first batch.

Well I bought a new one. So basically when I check if after several weeks I'm just recording the number and seeing if it has stabilized and if so bottle? Going forward I'll use it from start to finish.

So I cannot get a hydrometer here until 8-5 to 8-8. Will that be too long? Sorry still a total newbie.

relax grab a beer 8-10 is not too long if the beer was in the primary fermentor for 5 weeks it would still be fine!:mug:

Well I bought a new one. So basically when I check if after several weeks I'm just recording the number and seeing if it has stabilized and if so bottle? Going forward I'll use it from start to finish.

I'm not sure I understand the question. One reading after several weeks doesn't tell you if gravity is stable. It takes a second reading 2 - 3 days later with exactly the same reading to tell you it's stable. Maybe that's what you meant.

In an emergency you have Adventures In Homebrewing out on Jackson road.
Not sure if you knew that.

Update, crazy few days of ferment thick heavy krausen. Day 4 krausen completely dropped off, still looks to be a bit of the lava lamp effect still going on. Still sound ok? Hydrometer arrives today, when should I give it a test? I have a basic og from the recipe box of 1.066. I'm guessing my final should be around 1.014. My main concerns are this, when to take my first gravity and could the ferment have stalled?

If there is still a lot of visible activity - leave it alone.

Give it two or three days after visible is done. Waiting will not hurt - repeated opening of the fermenter can. Probably no reason to check until 10 days after pitching unless you are transferring and have the fermenter open anyway.

You're so lucky you live next to AIH - it's a great store. I am an hour from it. I live 5 minutes from another home brew store and has what I need, but doesn't offer the value that AIH does.

The earliest I check things is about day 10. I'd just keep checking it for activity. when it looks done give it another day or two and start checking. If your close to or at your predicted FG check again in 2-3 days if your still a few points high give it another week or so before you check again.

Perfect, I'm using a big mouth bubbler so I can easily check activity without risk of contamination. What does one do if its stalled? Just curious.

I know it's difficult but the longer you can wait the better.
Even after the fermentation is done your beer still needs some time in the fermenter.
I don't even look at my fermenters until 21 days has passed. If you can let it sit for a bit it will make a better beer in my opinion.

Perfect, I'm using a big mouth bubbler so I can easily check activity without risk of contamination. What does one do if its stalled? Just curious.

It's not stalled.

Swirl and raise the temp. If it doesn't get close to the expected FG, pitch more yeast.

Day 4 krausen completely dropped off, still looks to be a bit of the lava lamp effect still going on.

could the ferment have stalled?

If it looks like a lava lamp there is no way it stalled.
Just let it do it's thing.... you will be rewared shortly

Seriously Adventures in Homebrewing on Jackson is a MUST GO TO store since your in A2. They are very helpful for questions(almost as helpful as this forum) and they have everything you could want or need for equipment... No worries on your fermentation... :mug:

Great news! Gravity reading are going perfect and the beer had a crazy ferment. Will bottle in two weeks! Next question. I added 4oz of smoke flavor to this batch, the bottle said use 4oz per 5 gal batch and boy is she smokey. Will this mellow out at all? I really hope with some more sitting and then the bottling and carbonation. Thoughts?

Back