Fermenator CO2 pressure transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abracadabra

Reaction score
Blichman eng. claims you can pressure transfer beer up to 6 feet with their Fermanator.

Does anyone know how?

I can not see how this could be accomplished w/o special modifications. Including a completely different cornie lid and something to plug up the hole for the stopper/airlock.

I believe it does require a "Pressure Capable Stainless Lid", per their site. [Which appears to have link-rot]

david_42 said:
I believe it does require a "Pressure Capable Stainless Lid", per their site. [Which appears to have link-rot]

yeah the site claims you can do it without a single word as to how or what is needed other than their so called 'Pressure capable lid"

I emailed them yesterday and John Blichmann replied on the same day with answers to my questions and provided me with a PDF of the manual for the Fermenator.

Pretty darn good customer service in my book!

Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. I can't attach it here as it is 866K large.

EdWort said:
I emailed them yesterday and John Blichmann replied on the same day with answers to my questions and provided me with a PDF of the manual for the Fermenator.

Pretty darn good customer service in my book!

Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. I can't attach it here as it is 866K large.

Thank you Ed, I got the info last night myself.

Now that I have an understanding of the procedures I feel a little better but
I have to admit I'm still wondering how that rubber stopper is going to hold 3 PSI. I guess you'd really have to cram the thing in tight. Maybe 3 PSI is not as much force as I'm thinking. But the design and claim seemed to defy logic.

Anyway if they say it will work I'll have to take them at their word. I'm sure they have done testing.

Also glad to hear you feel they to provide good customer service.

Thanks again
tony

I'm trying to see if I can figure out how it would work. Consider that a vertical tube/hose holds a certain volume of liquid (beer). Let's say 1/4" ID tubing x 6' of vertical rise, using the formula for volume of a cylinder we find it's 3.5 cubic inches of beer which equals .015 gallons. If a gallon of beer weighs about 8 pounds, that column of beer in the tube is 8 x .015 or .12 pounds. I don't think 3 psi translates to 3 pounds of lift on that tubing cross section because that 1/4" diameter is only .05 square inches. So, doesn't that mean that 3 PSI applied really equals .15 lbs of lift? So, 3 PSI should be able to lift a 1/4 x 72" column of beer because .15lbs of pressure is more than .12lbs of beer. Hmm, what about the drag? I should have never dropped out of physics.

Back