Fermcap-s in fermenter... no blow off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
I'm making a 10 gallon batch of Dunkelweizen tonight and I only have a blowoff tube rigged for one of my two fermenters. If I put a few drops of termcap-s in the fermenter before shaking and pitching yeast, should that make it ok to use just an airlock?

Yup. That's precisely what it's for. Boiler overs and blow offs.

Don't put it in until you start seeing the wort in your carboy start to swirl.

I do usually do a few drops in carboy before aerating to prevent foam over and it definitely helps prevent blow offs.

I used one drop per gallon in the boil. Should I add more to the fermenter if not using a blowoff? Or will it still be in the wort

You might need to. There were some arguments on the overuse of it but I think it settles out pretty well. I usually end up using it with starters, in the boil, then in the fermenter.

I'm brewing tomorrow but realize I'm out of primaries. Instead of moving my last beer to secondary, what does everyone think about fermenting a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy, if I use fermcap in the primary? The beer is a 1.062 saison with wyeast 3711... Asking for trouble?

I'm brewing tomorrow but realize I'm out of primaries. Instead of moving my last beer to secondary, what does everyone think about fermenting a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy, if I use fermcap in the primary? The beer is a 1.062 saison with wyeast 3711... Asking for trouble?

i've never used fermcap (i have it in the fridge) but it seems to do the trick for most people who use it. rig a blow off just in case.

eastoak said:
i've never used fermcap (i have it in the fridge) but it seems to do the trick for most people who use it. rig a blow off just in case.

I have two, five gallon better bottles that I could use but man they will be full

Back