Fermax off flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CChamplin

Reaction score
I have been doing all grain batches for just over a year now. Recently I have had some strange off flavors/aromas. I am kinda crazy about cleanliness and sanitation. The only thing I can think of that I have done differently is add fermax yeast nutrient to my boil. The flavors/aromas are kind of strong and sort of rubbery. Has any one else noticed this when using this nutrient?

I'm curious about this too. I've been using Fermax in my all grain batches, and I can't seem to find much information about people using it for beer...seems like a wine/mead product.

I use it in all my beers. Every beer I have made in the last 4 years have got a teaspoon tossed in the last 15 min.
How much are you using? I would be willing to bet if your having off flavors, its not from the Fermax.
For what its worth.
Cheers
Jay

The instructions I found called for 1tsp per gallon. Which would be 5tsp in a five gallon batch. Is that just entirely too much?

The instructions I found called for 1tsp per gallon. Which would be 5tsp in a five gallon batch. Is that just entirely too much?

IMHO..Yes it is. I only use 1 heaping teaspoon per 5 gallons. Most of my customers use more than that. But I dont really think its necessary.....Its a great product and we sell a boatload of the stuff. But I do think people over use it.
Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay. I checked out your website. I am very interested in your Yeast Beast starter packs. I have been using a 2L Erlenmeyer Flask with a homemade stir plate to do my starters. I have only used DME for my starter wort though. I assume that your starter will work just fine stirred. I'll probably be ordering a couple to try out soon. (unless you would like to shoot me over a sample to try out.) Also thanks again for your insight on the Fermax. I had a feeling I was probably just using too much. It was the only thing I could think of that I was doing different.

For wine or mead, you'd need more. But for beer, which is full of yeast nutrients to start with, you need less.
my Wyeast nutrient blend is the same way...1tsp / 5 gallons of beer, and like 1/2tsp per gallon for wine must.

Thanks Jay. I checked out your website. I am very interested in your Yeast Beast starter packs. I have been using a 2L Erlenmeyer Flask with a homemade stir plate to do my starters. I have only used DME for my starter wort though. I assume that your starter will work just fine stirred. I'll probably be ordering a couple to try out soon. (unless you would like to shoot me over a sample to try out.) Also thanks again for your insight on the Fermax. I had a feeling I was probably just using too much. It was the only thing I could think of that I was doing different.

Shoot me your address via PM....We will talk about a sample...:D
Jay

Back