Ferm Temp while on vacation (help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I am brewing an IPA which started fermenting early Monday 4/18
I am leaving for SC on 4/22.
I keep an aquarium heater in a big cooler of water to keep the bucket @ 68F
Otherwise my basement is about 58-60F

I am weary about leaving the aquarium heater plugged in and running (although it is plugged into a surge protector strip) while away.

Will I harm my brew if I cut the power and allow the beer to cool to 58?
Am I mistaken that a bulk of the fermentation is done and the rest can finish up cooler, or does it need to at a warmer?
Would it do harm to turn off heater allow beer to cool and then turn on a heat up when I return for the final week (3 week primary)?

It depends on how healthy the yeast pitch was, the amount of yeast and the strain. The bulk of fermentation may be done, but the yeast still has cleaning up to do. Crashing it too soon may make them go dormant and you'll be left with a underattenuted, possibly fault laden beer. Warming it up later may make the yeast active again, but it may not continue as you hoped. I'd leave it plugged in to finish out.

Bring it upstairs. Warming will help it finish up and it's too late now to cause off flavored (unless it had a really long lag time). If you've dropped more than 75% of the gravity (i.e. If OG was 1.060 and expected FG is 1.012, 75% drop would be about 1.024), I would bring it upstairs. Let the beer free-rise and finish up. I would do that even if I wasn't leaving.

Yeast type?

I ferment my ales at 58-62 ambient which keeps them in range during peak fermentation. They then cool to room temp. I would just unplug. I'd guess the yeast will slow but not completely stall. And most likely will be done on schedule.

05 ale yeast
Just checked the water temp and it is 62. I turned the heater up and may bring it upstairs where is it mid 60's.
Leave it there in my absence

I'd take it upstairs, also. That's perfect temp for it.

Took the bucket upstairs, left by the back kitchen door.
On my way home my wife mentions it has been a high of 65 & low of 35 and she had turned the heat off.
So I have no idea what State my beer will be in when I gett home

Update- 60, my house was 60!
Debating wether to leave in kitchen where t will now be 68 or to the basement where it can continue to be 60 until I cold crash mid week in prep for bottling next week.

After 4 days, most of the most active fermentation should be done and it won't be generating most heat. I would leave it at room temperature until you're home. Should be good to go!

Either of those places will work about the same. Leave it where it is, and it'll be ready to crash when you're ready.

Latest posts

Back