Feh. Movies.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
How is it I can spend several hours brewing or cooking, and I was able to commit to a lifetime of marriage, but sitting still during a movie is pure torture?

The wife insisted I sit with her last night and watch "This is 40". Cute movie, and I'm sure parts of it are very true. Problem is, it goes on forever. First thing I notice as she is clicking "buy" on the remote is "2 hours and 17 minutes". I'm thinking "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu$#"

Right around the 1 hour mark I start getting bored, so I get up to check in on HBT in the next room. I hear her pause the damn thing and say "what are you doing??" I thought I was being clever and shaving some time off this sentence, but she's got one on me. Point wife.

Come an hour and a half and Im praying the cable goes out. Most of the gags we have seen in a million other movies, and the leading actors are starting to get on my nerves. That woman is beautiful, yes, but that voice is repulsive. I'm starting to get resentful that I have to sit another 40 something minutes. Apparently I crossed my arms and made a bratty face. I even tried silently hypnotising myself and going into a trance for the next 40 minutes, but it didnt work. I know claiming I have to go to the bathroom isnt going to work because she is just going to pause it. I'm finding new and interesting reasons to hate the characters. Paul Rudd has a stupid head.

"Fine, nevermind, you can play Warcraft for 2 hours without batting an eye but you cant spend that time watching a movie with me." Oh if only it were as simple as admitting this. Getting up now would be a really really bad call. "No no its fine I want to watch it." I leave off "... as much as I want anal fissures."

At the two hour mark I realize I still have 17 minutes to go. I've bitten off all my nails and have started on my scabs. I'm drinking scotch to kill the pain and my wife is heartlessly laughing at what Paul Rudd and his stupid head and the hot chick with the terrible voice talking about whatever nonsense they are talking about. I start making my own movie in my head. In my version stupid head and his wife are driving their damn stupid SUV and an airplane that has all the "real housewives" and that chick from "Weeds" crash into it, killing everyone instantly. I'd watch 2 hours of that over and over. The credits FINALLY start rolling and, like an idiot, I think out loud "Thank f*&%ing God"

I almost wind up having to sleep on the couch.

*sigh* it will pass.

I feel your pain buddy. Nap time for me when the movies go on. Heck I have got so good at it I sleep during the movies I want to watch :ban:

I was going to say learning how to sleep at a moment's notice would be a good skill to learn. Nobody wants to wake someone sleeping, unless your wife really likes the movie and wants you to like it to verify her liking it.

Gentleman please ...
Solution:
"My dear wife I do so love spending time with you but not watching a movie that I will not enjoy. I know you will so please watch this movie and any other you like but please do not insist I watch it with you. I do not force you to brew with me just so we can do something together. I do want to spend time with you but it should be doing something we both enjoy. So please watch the movie and enjoy it and I will entertain myself in other ways."

There not so hard!

Even the action movies have turned into chick flicks with kissing and crap. If I wanted kissing and crap I would watch shows my wife likes not action movies

We watched this same movie this weekend. My wife is not a movie person, but wanted to see something funny. Is it just me or is there a poor selection of comedies these days?

For "something funny" it was either this or Trouble With the Curve.

I agree with you, Creamy, this one was pretty painful. Had some redeeming moments, but they were few.

I have to agree with you. For years my wife had complained that I would never go see movies that SHE wanted to see. She is wrong, of course. I went to plenty of movies that she wanted to see, it's just that they happened to be movies that I ALSO wanted to see! In the spirit of building our relationship to heights not seen before by mortal man, I decided that I really should go see a movie with her that I do not want to see.

Enter, Les Miserable.

So after a while I stop marveling at how they could make a movie like this where everyone sings ever damn line in the movie (and they aren't even very interesting melodies, just like a bad chant of some sort in most cases...) But I stick it out and after a while I'm still somewhat interested in the plot, and the very good-looking brunette.

In the end she turns to me and says, "I'm sorry."

Just understand, that marriage is not about spending time with your significant other, just because they want you to, it's about knowing when to say, "I'm Sorry"!

A while back my wife rented Inception, and I fell asleep. After a while, she noticed and woke me up. I explained that I was using the same technique that I always use for watching Leonardo DiCaprio movies, fall asleep and try to wake up in time to hopefully see him die at the end. She didn't think that was funny.

This is why Tx developed a mobile app. I can't sit through anything more than 30 minutes anymore for some damned reason.

That sucks but it could be worse. I really don't understand how some women basically shame their husband's into watching TV with them all the time or families that count watching TV together as quality time.

I have a friend whose wife expects him to be sitting next to her on the couch for 4 hours every night watching shows she wants to watch.

Another friend spends every Sunday with his in-laws watching TV because it's "Family time"

**** that!

Luckily, my wife and I both agree that watching TV together doesn't count as quality time.

She's really not that bad... managed to corner me this time, but doesnt usually. I doubt she will try again for a while, I'm sure she thinks I was being pretty rude.

But God... 2 hours and 17 minutes of that was torture.

Maybe next time try and counter with another activity? Beer also helps bad movies go a little faster.

i can't hold still for an entire movie either. sleep or pissing happens, hopefully not both at the same time, but you can't rule it out if its a real sleeper. i am generally an antsy person and i start to get irritated and angry if i'm not getting any hole in the bottom of the popcorn bucket action during a movie. (nahmsayin?!) my last girl loved movies, and i would always end up laughing during serious parts, or commenting on how something wasn't humanly possible, which would piss her off to no end. she got to the point where she would warn me before-hand what the movie was about and i then had the choice to find something else to do. this basically consisted of sitting in the man-cave dinking around on HBT and drinking/playing guitar.
i have to say, most movies suck now-a-days. it is either some terrible remake, or totally fake beyond believability, with 0 interesting story line. good movies should be about telling a good story. the end

She's really not that bad... managed to corner me this time, but doesnt usually. I doubt she will try again for a while, I'm sure she thinks I was being pretty rude.

But God... 2 hours and 17 minutes of that was torture.

What I do during really awful shows is just play MST3K. It doesn't take long before the wife sends me off to go do something else. Sometimes she even forbids me to watch shows with her!

It's like screwing up the laundry. Do it once or twice and pretty soon you are off the hook on any laundry at all! :mug:

What I do during really awful shows is just play MST3K. It doesn't take long before the wife sends me off to go do something else. Sometimes she even forbids me to watch shows with her!

It's like screwing up the laundry. Do it once or twice and pretty soon you are off the hook on any laundry at all! :mug:

I did this with the Vampire Diaries and Secret Life of the American Teenager. She waits to watch those now until I'm not even in the house.

try having a netflix subscription. the pain you are experiencing is just amplified. "lucky" for me, we have the combo package where we get some by mail, and then unlimited streaming. unfortunately, about 1 in 10 is worth a d#mn. the rest have fluffed ratings by mystery viewers, which make my wife think that they are good movies. did I mention, her biggest obsession with this whole thing is "getting our money's worth"?

my theory is that there are 5 or 6 good movies that come out in theaters each year. I seem to manage to see most of them (with her) in the theater, making it near about impossible that any rental will be worth watching. I'll give her the bennifit of 1 or 2 every once and a while, but this netflix thing is insane.

try having a netflix subscription. the pain you are experiencing is just amplified. "lucky" for me, we have the combo package where we get some by mail, and then unlimited streaming. unfortunately, about 1 in 10 is worth a d#mn. the rest have fluffed ratings by mystery viewers, which make my wife think that they are good movies. did I mention, her biggest obsession with this whole thing is "getting our money's worth"?

my theory is that there are 5 or 6 good movies that come out in theaters each year. I seem to manage to see most of them (with her) in the theater, making it near about impossible that any rental will be worth watching. I'll give her the bennifit of 1 or 2 every once and a while, but this netflix thing is insane.

I disagree. I find many of the movies I've rented through Netflix to be above average, and difficult to find in a lot of other places.

Of course, your idea of what constitutes a good movie, and what I determine to be a good movie, could be vastly different... :cross:

I find most movies to be trash and yet I can sit and watch them for hours. I can also watch college basketball and football for hour after hour without getting antsy. As long as I have beer and snacks, I can stay put for long stretches. It's probably not a good thing for my mind or my body but I ride my bicycle a couple hundred miles a week so that cancels out some of the sedentary aspects of it.

My wife: "Come in here and sit with me and watch this movie!"
Me: pick up book, magazines and/or Kindle and go to where she is.
She: "I've been wanting to watch this for a while"
Me: What's it about?
She: Someody falls for somebody but they don't know it and they each go after somebody else for awhile only to realize they were made for each other after all!
Me: Nice!
She watches movie
Me: I read while she leans against me, sometimes I look up and realize it is still going on but return to my reading.

After it is over she sometimes asks what did I think and I'll say maybe we can watch another movie later or have you another picked out? and usually, since it is still winter, she already has her next choice lined up.

To be fair, this is all on Netflix streaming so, often on Saturdays I am allowed a few hours of cheesy SciFi or Action flicks. We is kind of cool because we both make fun of them.

How is it I can spend several hours brewing or cooking, and I was able to commit to a lifetime of marriage, but sitting still during a movie is pure torture?

The wife insisted I sit with her last night and watch "This is 40". Cute movie, and I'm sure parts of it are very true. Problem is, it goes on forever. First thing I notice as she is clicking "buy" on the remote is "2 hours and 17 minutes". I'm thinking "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu$#"

Right around the 1 hour mark I start getting bored, so I get up to check in on HBT in the next room. I hear her pause the damn thing and say "what are you doing??" I thought I was being clever and shaving some time off this sentence, but she's got one on me. Point wife.

Come an hour and a half and Im praying the cable goes out. Most of the gags we have seen in a million other movies, and the leading actors are starting to get on my nerves. That woman is beautiful, yes, but that voice is repulsive. I'm starting to get resentful that I have to sit another 40 something minutes. Apparently I crossed my arms and made a bratty face. I even tried silently hypnotising myself and going into a trance for the next 40 minutes, but it didnt work. I know claiming I have to go to the bathroom isnt going to work because she is just going to pause it. I'm finding new and interesting reasons to hate the characters. Paul Rudd has a stupid head.

"Fine, nevermind, you can play Warcraft for 2 hours without batting an eye but you cant spend that time watching a movie with me." Oh if only it were as simple as admitting this. Getting up now would be a really really bad call. "No no its fine I want to watch it." I leave off "... as much as I want anal fissures."

At the two hour mark I realize I still have 17 minutes to go. I've bitten off all my nails and have started on my scabs. I'm drinking scotch to kill the pain and my wife is heartlessly laughing at what Paul Rudd and his stupid head and the hot chick with the terrible voice talking about whatever nonsense they are talking about. I start making my own movie in my head. In my version stupid head and his wife are driving their damn stupid SUV and an airplane that has all the "real housewives" and that chick from "Weeds" crash into it, killing everyone instantly. I'd watch 2 hours of that over and over. The credits FINALLY start rolling and, like an idiot, I think out loud "Thank f*&%ing God"

I almost wind up having to sleep on the couch.

*sigh* it will pass.

You're a guy, it was a CHICKFLICK...
Dude, you deserve a freakin' trophy for sitting thru it as long as you did!
Did you feel that way during Dune or The Last Samurai? I'm guessing not. Next time, and there WILL be a next time, you should take a drink every time somebody in the movie (or on the couch next to you) starts talking about their feelings; you'll be hammered by the end of the 1st hour.
I feel your pain man!
Regards, GF. :mug:

I have not seen this movie. But I am aware of the fact that Megan Fox is in it. And I am even more aware of the fact that she's in a scene where for a long enough time, she's in a sexy bra. More than enough time, know what I mean? Do I have to spell it out for you? Long enough for you to break one off for yourself even if you had do it through your pants. The wife probably wouldn't even notice.

Its truly a sad state of affairs that I was so glazed over that more or less missed Megan Fox in a state of undress...

Chickflicks are always better with a fake mustache. http://www.themustachegame.tv/

The wife and I will usually pick a decent movie we agree on for our "movie night", but when we can't seem to find one that we can agree on we find a bad movie and add a fake mustache.

Having good homebrew on hand is mandatory, and winky-winky time after a few drinks and good laughs is nearly guaranteed.

^^^^ This.

Talking back to the TV is the quickest way I've found to be excused from lousy TV/movies. And the best part is that you can't be accused of not paying attention.

Back