Feedback please on vanilla chocolate wheat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incongruent

Reaction score
I've been reading up on everything since I started this hobby a couple of months ago. This is the first forum post ive made as I think ive reached a level of comfort where I can ask for some feedback. Can you guys please review my questions below based on this recipe I am trying?

My setup:
-lbk primary
-no secondary

My recipe:
-300g wheat lme
-120g pale lme
-100g cocoa powder
-250g glucose
-1/2 can coopers wheat beer can
-3.75g dry yeast came with kit
-20g French roast beans whole, soaked in vodka
-1tbsp vanilla extract

What I've done:

1) boiled wheat and pale LME and cocoa and glucose for 10 mins.
2) Added coopers wheat can and removed from heat to ice bath (reached 40•C)
3) Added 7L cold charcoal filtered water to lbk
4) Added ice bathed wort to lbk
5) mixed into the keg together OG measured at 1.044
6) 26•C pitched yeast.

My questions:
A) did I overdo the cocoa? I read some recipe used 200g per 5 gallon batch and some used 2tbsp. The wort reminded me of hot chocolate... it was heavy... but the hygrometer sample tasted like chocolate and wort.
B) when should I add the coffee beans/vodka? Today? 4d from now when fermentation slowing down? Just before bottling?
C) when should I add vanilla extract?
D) I plan to add 70g of dextrose to prime before bottling. Sound good? The kit called for 50g per 3gallon batch but ive strayed from the kit a good deal.
E) dry hopping has improved every beer Ive made. Should I dry hop this? What hop will work? I have hallertau handy.
F) any comments on what I've done here? Good? Bad?
G) any predictions for how this thing is gonna turn out?
H) Any suggestions for what you'd do differently?

I'm still on the lbk because 2.5 gallon batches suits my consumption rate right now and I'm happy with the simplicity of this fermenter.

Latest posts

Back