Feedback on simple English IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

The mailman just gave me a pound of EKG, so naturally I need to brew up an English IPA. I appreciate your feedback on the following recipe.

English IPA
1.055 OG. 43 IBU. 5.5 US gallons.

87% 2 Row
5% Victory
5% C40
3% Flaked Barley
0.5 oz Bravo @ 60 (22 IBU)
1.5 oz EKG @ 14 & 4 (21 IBU)
Wyeast 1968 ESB

Mash 150F for dry finish. Moderately high mineral content (120ish mg/l Cl & SO4).

Last edited:
Yeah, I like Challenger or Target for bittering. Or hey, if you've got a whole pound of EKG, use it for the bittering too. No Maris Otter or other English malt around? I know the victory is in there to imitate it.

I've never used that yeast either, but I assume if it's treated well it will do the trick. Otherwise looks decent to me.

Thanks guys. @lowtones84 , yes the victory is there to imitate MO. I don't have any on hand, and I'm reasonably confident I can achieve comparable results. The mailman gave me a pound of Bravo along with the EKG, so I thought it would be nice to use some here too. I might go 100% EKG, though.

As for the 1968, I LOVE this yeast. Easily adaptable to dry or full-bodied, clean or fruity, US or UK. Works fast and drops crystal clear. Tolerates warmer temperatures too. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend.

Ahh, it appears 1968 and WLP002 are the same, so I'm pretty familiar. I wouldn't use the crystal either, but that's just my personal preference. I like 'em dry :mug:

Back