Feedback on an all grain setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikedPunch

Reaction score
I've done several extract brews and am looking to take this hobby to the next level - all grain. For the equipment, I came across someone selling a Mash Tun and HLT set on Ebay for $125 + shipping.

What do you think of it? Is there anything else I should get that an extract brewer might not have? Is there a better first time all grain set?

I'd have to agree with sixfooter. I built my own igloo mlt using a cheap cooler from amazon and then picking up a bulkhead kit and a bazooka screen on amazon as well. I batch sparge so not much need for an hlt. I'd also look for a 10 gallon cooler as generally I mash in with 4 or 5 gallons and when you add in the grain you are getting dangerously close to maxing out a 5 gallon cooler. But that really depends on what size of batches you brew.

I also purchased a bigger pot so now I have two pots so I can heat up my sparge water and have it ready in my second pot while I'm gathering my fist runnings in my main boil kettle.

I don't think that's a bad price for a two cooler system. The setup is designed for fly sparging. Nothing wrong with fly sparging, but I personally think batch sparging is easier, quicker, and just as effective when using a 10 gallon cooler mash tun, so I would not buy this myself, but it's seem like a very fair price. With batch sparging, you could use a cooler for your HLT, but I don't find that necessary.

If you're interested in making a cooler mash tun yourself, here is one way to go about it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/.

Edit: Just realized your link was to a five gallon mash tun and not a ten gallon cooler. I don't think it's as good of deal in that case.Ten gallon coolers will give you more flexibility, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

I built a 5 gallon cooler MT... I did 3 batches and realized it wasn't big enough. 3 months later I built a 52 quart MT. Now I can easily mash 28-30 pounds of grain if needed. a bazooka screen and weldless kit will run about $40 or so and I bought my cooler on sale from Sears for $28. Already had 2 kettles (a 5 gallon and an 11 gallon) so no need for a HLT (I can always use the 5 gallon cooler for that if I go back to fly sparging).

Sixfooter is spot on. I began brewing with a 10 gal Home Depot rig that cost much less. Directions and shopping list are already done on this site. Just a side note, I learned the hard (and costly) way that purchasing my setup is best done without planning on upgrades. I personally don't use a cooler HLT, I just transfer my hot liquor directly from a stainless pot. My setup is possibly the most basic of all and I thoroughly enjoy the hands on processes. I purchased two separate size stainless pots ($50.00 ea) from the local sporting goods store, a 10 gal cooler and valve kit from the hardware store along with all the tubing I could use. The hardware store buckets come with lids and are more than sufficient for brewing. Good luck and enjoy.

Latest posts

Back