Feedback from those using the keg king mill motor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
So I have a 3 roll kegco mill and am contemplating using this motor setup for it to avoid the pulleys as it has to be somewhat compact but this will be used to mill large amounts of grain at once on a 3 bbl setup... Will this motor hold up or should I pay twice as much for an ale works motor?

This is of course anecdotal. But I have the American Ale Works 180 RPM motor with a tombstone switch on my set up and it works fantastic. I have had it for a year or so and it chews through whatever I give it without fail (barley, wheat, rye). Can't relate to what you will put it through with a nano though. I have maybe 1000# through it.

I bought a Monster Mill 3-roller mill last December, and I knew I wanted to motorize it.

I looked at two alternatives, both of which you know: the keg king alternative, and the ale works alternative.

Obviously you'll save some money w/ the keg-king motor, but it's really a homebrewer-level motor, for a homebrewer setup. I haven't seen any negative press on the keg king, so I think it's a reasonable setup. BUT.....since you have a 3BBL setup, you're going to be going through some serious grain. Is a mill motor meant for the homebrew market going to be heavy-duty and long lasting enough, given the amount of grain with which you'll challenge it?

In the end, I closed my eyes and pressed "buy" for the American Ale Works motor. I knew--or at least believed--it would be the last motor I'd ever have to buy. It came with the Lovejoy connectors and it was easy to set up with my mill.

It's a beast. I can go through 12# of grain in about 2 minutes, and I don't have to babysit the mill while it's munching through the grain.

Given the size of your brews, I'd be looking at more heavy-duty as the correct trade-off as opposed to less expensive.

millcarta.jpg millcartb.jpg

Auggie, as resourceful as you've proven to be (with regards to building things inexpensively), just search a little and you can assemble something very robust and a fraction of the cost of the American Ale Works motor. I am sure it does a fine job, but a little scouring and you should be able to find a made in USA motor if that's your thing, gear reducer, and couplers for a fraction of the cost.

I found a new explosion proof motor, explosion proof switch and housing, plus gear reducer and don't have more than $100 in to those parts. I am confident you could do the same.

Just my $0.02

:mug:

My setup for an idea:

img_3390-68083.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys I did end up finding a bodine 45 in lb. 171 rpm motor for $140. Picked up a coupler as well. Waiting on it now.. did the math and the keg kit motor is pretty underpowered. We are going to be milling outside under a covered porch to avoid the explosion proof room fiasco.
The ale works motors look nice but yeah...twice the cost of the mill..

Back