FedEx opened package!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfgoat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since when does Fedex demand to open and search packages? I went today to try and ship a brew to a competition and they insisted that they open the package and check the contents and when they learned I was shipping homebrew they of course refused.

Did I just get unlucky today or is this a new policy of theirs?

Shipping beer is kind of a sticky wicket. Some states allow it in and out of the state. Some states only allow you to ship it into the state. And some only allow you to ship it out of the sate. Lastly some don't allow you to ship it into or out of the state. Now this only applies to private people sending beer. So FEDEX, UPS, and USPS have taken the stance that no shipping of beer is allowed.

They do have the right to know what you are shipping and I am sure that in the huge document that is their end user agreement that it has a line or two stating that they can ask you to open a suspect package.

Shipping beer is kind of a sticky wicket. Some states allow it in and out of the state. Some states only allow you to ship it into the state. And some only allow you to ship it out of the sate. Lastly some don't allow you to ship it into or out of the state. Now this only applies to private people sending beer. So FEDEX, UPS, and USPS have taken the stance that no shipping of beer is allowed.

They do have the right to know what you are shipping and I am sure that in the huge document that is their end user agreement that it has a line or two stating that they can ask you to open a suspect package.

I can get that but from the shipping label it looked like I was just sending a package to some guys house. Usually here in Nebraska there is no issue of shipping in and out of state. Usually they don't even ask. I just went down the road and shipped from the UPS store no problem.

Was just kind of taken back the way they did it. Lady just said she had to inspect my items and went at it with a knife. She could have just asked and I would have been honest but she just dove right in.

[...] Lady just said she had to inspect my items and went at it with a knife. She could have just asked and I would have been honest but she just dove right in.

Cutting your package open sounds blatantly wrong, definitely without your consent. Had you handed it to them already and paid for it? If not, it wasn't theirs to open, and even then it's debatable whether they can, IMO.

The "yeast sample" is the way to get around a lot of red tape apparently. Yeast needs to be suspended in a watery solution, so it comes with it. Sugar water that is.

Did you print a label from home and put it on the package yourself? Every time I've printed the label myself the only question has been if I want a receipt of package acceptance. When I've shipped things without a pre-printed label, they always ask what's in it so they can fill out their form ensuring it doesn't need any special handling.

I heard of people calling them zymological samples ;) Haven't tried that yet. My box electric motor part labels on it so I said it was a commutator lol

Yeah, that's a great idea, misleading content labels.

How about "photosensitive materials" - Do Not Open!
[hmm, what does photosensitive mean? Let's take a peek...]

I am trying to figure out how to get my beer to a aha comp right now. I thought fedex would be ok

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I use UPS since fed ex can suck it, and if they ask i just say beer yeast, cause that is in there. Never had any issues.

I did not print my own label. I had just handed it to her to weight for postage cost and she just dug in. So now I know to print it out at home.

I always print at home. The less time I have to stand face to face with the guys there the better. Not because they're not nice, but because I am a terrible liar and I would prefer to not have to explain myself. I shipped 2 of the 5 boxes I need to send today. Came in, dumped them on the counter, thanked them very much and walked out.

I feel bad for you that she did that. I feel like it was wrong.

I took a package to USPS today. Printed at home, handed it to them, walked out. Have a nice day...no questions asked.

OP: is there another fedex location in your area? last year i was refused at a location because i made the mistake of telling them it was beer. i then drove a few minutes to the next location, kept my mouth shut, and off it went. not sure if this is an option for you.

USPS ftw. I tell them I'm just shipping some "non-perishable snacks". When they shake it they hear the newspaper crunching under the weight instead of liquid... EzPz.

OP: is there another fedex location in your area? last year i was refused at a location because i made the mistake of telling them it was beer. i then drove a few minutes to the next location, kept my mouth shut, and off it went. not sure if this is an option for you.

I just went to the UPS store right down the road from them. I have to drive out of my town to get to any of these carriers so there is not much option.

9. Right to inspect. FedEx may inspect the shipment at any time and may permit government authorities to carry out such inspections as they may consider appropriate. FedEx, in addition, may reject or suspend the carriage of any prohibited items or one that contains materials that damage or may damage other shipments or that may constitute a risk to FedEx equipment or employees or to those of its service providers.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Right of Inspection</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>UPS reserves the right to open and inspect any package tendered to it for transportation.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

9. Right to inspect. FedEx may inspect the shipment at any time and may permit government authorities to carry out such inspections as they may consider appropriate. FedEx, in addition, may reject or suspend the carriage of any prohibited items or one that contains materials that damage or may damage other shipments or that may constitute a risk to FedEx equipment or employees or to those of its service providers.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Right of Inspection</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>UPS reserves the right to open and inspect any package tendered to it for transportation.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I knew they had the right to inspect. Just never had them dig into it like that. Could of just asked and I would have been honest and accepted their refusal. This lady just started slicing things open without any questions asked or anything being said. Just put me off.

USPS ftw. I tell them I'm just shipping some "non-perishable snacks". When they shake it they hear the newspaper crunching under the weight instead of liquid... EzPz.

UPS finds out you're shipping alcohol, your package is refused, and you may or may not be refunded the shipping cost. And that's the end of it.

FedEx, see above.

USPS finds out you're shipping alcohol, I believe it's up to a year in prison.

Yeah, don't use USPS, period.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1716

(f) All spirituous, vinous, malted, fermented, or other intoxicating liquors of any kind are nonmailable and shall not be deposited in or carried through the mails.

(1) Whoever knowingly deposits for mailing or delivery, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail, according to the direction thereon, or at any place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, anything declared nonmailable by this section, unless in accordance with the rules and regulations authorized to be prescribed by the Postal Service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

Pretty plain text. Up to a year in prison and/or fines if you're caught shipping alcohol via USPS. And if a bottles happens to break and injure a postal worker (or anything similar) it goes up to 20 years in prison. And if that injury kills said postal worker (as unlikely as that may be), you're eligible for the death penalty.

So again, don't send beer through USPS.

UPS finds out you're shipping alcohol, your package is refused, and you may or may not be refunded the shipping cost. And that's the end of it.

FedEx, see above.

USPS finds out you're shipping alcohol, I believe it's up to a year in prison.

Yeah, don't use USPS, period.

+1

USPS for shipping booze is a federal crime and all disclaimers on competition rules spell this out clearly!

I use Fed Ex all the time, print labels from my own account, package, and drop off to ship, in fact just sent out a package to the KCBM a few weeks ago and another today for the Drunk Monk, no issues with either one.

UPS I try and do the same but they always ask me questions when I drop off since the boxes are labeled fragile this end up. They always tell me since it's fragile they have to inspect my packing so I don't use them anymore, Fed Ex never asks.

For contents I always list as art or glassware. But in short, yes they can all ask and inspect if they want to, it's their right to do so, so beware.

You also risk extra scrutiny if you declare a large value for FedEx or USPS packages. Stick with $20-$50 to reduce risk.

I print the labels at home then drop off at a local shipping store that is not owned by UPS or FedEx, just a pickup location. Never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I also use UPS, measure, weight, and print at home, and just drop it off at the UPS store. Never once had a problem. I find FedEx to be a lot more anal about things, so I've never even tried shipping through them.

Not to be a dick here (and I know that by starting a sentence that way I am totally going to be a dick), but I find the double standard regarding discussing this ridiculous. Every now and then someone starts a thread about distilling alcohol or brewing with pot, and the thread gets deleted faster than you can say "How do I illegally ship beer?" with a diatribe about how this is an illegal subject (even though it isn't) and will not be discussed on this board.

However, here we are discussing an illegal activity and how to do so, with multiple people discussing how they do it, how they have done it in the past, and how they plan on doing it in the future.

For the record, I have no problem with it and have used USPS and UPS. However, I find it completely ironic and stupid that any discussion of distillation or weed is forbidden. Especially considering that weed is legal in many states.

Don't label the bottles other than a code if shipping more than one kind, email the recipient the code if they must know, call it inert lab samples. Don't put fragile, glass, handle with care or anything like that on the outside. That makes it a target for desk clerk and the warehouse little part time college punks who will throw it on the floor on purpose!
Ship stuff USPS priority mail, box it, print postage, email USPS for a pickup, they get it the next day. You don't need to talk to anyone to ask questions.

Boomer, difference is distilling is illegal almost everywhere in the US, same as marijuana. Shipping 'yeast samples' is only illegal via USPS, it's against policy (not law!) with UPS/FEDEX.

Not to be a dick here (and I know that by starting a sentence that way I am totally going to be a dick), but I find the double standard regarding discussing this ridiculous. Every now and then someone starts a thread about distilling alcohol or brewing with pot, and the thread gets deleted faster than you can say "How do I illegally ship beer?" with a diatribe about how this is an illegal subject (even though it isn't) and will not be discussed on this board.

However, here we are discussing an illegal activity and how to do so, with multiple people discussing how they do it, how they have done it in the past, and how they plan on doing it in the future.

For the record, I have no problem with it and have used USPS and UPS. However, I find it completely ironic and stupid that any discussion of distillation or weed is forbidden. Especially considering that weed is legal in many states.

Except shipping via UPS and FedEx isn't illegal. It's a violation of their policies, but it is not a crime. Shipping via USPS is a crime, hence the stern warnings, both here and in ever competition (at least every single one I've entered) of DO NOT DO IT.

I'm sure a mod could clarify this better, but I'm pretty sure as long as marijuana and distillation are illegal in Texas where I believe this site's servers are located, I'm pretty sure that the topics remain off limits, regardless of whatever another state does.

Apples to oranges.

Don't label the bottles other than a code if shipping more than one kind, email the recipient the code if they must know, call it inert lab samples. Don't put fragile, glass, handle with care or anything like that on the outside. That makes it a target for desk clerk and the warehouse little part time college punks who will throw it on the floor on purpose!
Ship stuff USPS priority mail, box it, print postage, email USPS for a pickup, they get it the next day. You don't need to talk to anyone to ask questions.

See above, USPS is a crime. Where the private couriers may refuse or return your package and that's it (ie a minor inconvenience), if you ship via USPS you can have federal agents knock on your door, you find yourself in court, and in prison or with massive fines, or both. Not worth the risk.

Boomer, difference is distilling is illegal almost everywhere in the US, same as marijuana. Shipping 'yeast samples' is only illegal via USPS, it's against policy (not law!) with UPS/FEDEX.

Except shipping via UPS and FedEx isn't illegal. It's a violation of their policies, but it is not a crime. Shipping via USPS is a crime, hence the stern warnings, both here and in ever competition (at least every single one I've entered) of DO NOT DO IT.

I'm sure a mod could clarify this better, but I'm pretty sure as long as marijuana and distillation are illegal in Texas where I believe this site's servers are located, I'm pretty sure that the topics remain off limits, regardless of whatever another state does.

Apples to oranges.

See above, USPS is a crime. Where the private couriers may refuse or return your package and that's it (ie a minor inconvenience), if you ship via USPS you can have federal agents knock on your door, you find yourself in court, and in prison or with massive fines, or both. Not worth the risk.

If that's the excuse you guys want to use fine, but it's not really correct. Marijuana is legal in several states. It really doesn't matter where the site is hosted. Freedom of speech protects this. You can discuss these things. Furthermore distillation is not illegal at all. Distillation of alcohol for consumption is, but distillation of tonics or other is not at all. The admin has decided not to allow this discussion for some reason. However, here we are discussing illegal activities. Like actual illegal activities.

And regarding whether shipping is illegal or not, I think it is very similar to the weed thing. It is illegal in some cases, not in others. In particular, it is illegal in Texas to ship beer or receive beer that is shipped. Why are we discussing this?

Pretty plain text. Up to a year in prison and/or fines if you're caught shipping alcohol via USPS. And if a bottles happens to break and injure a postal worker (or anything similar) it goes up to 20 years in prison. And if that injury kills said postal worker (as unlikely as that may be), you're eligible for the death penalty.

So again, don't send beer through USPS.

A friend of mine had a bottle of beer break while it was being shipped via USPS. They called him in to an office at the post office and they just said "most people don't realize it's illegal" and handed him the unbroken beers.

But I wouldn't gamble on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Since when does Fedex demand to open and search packages? I went today to try and ship a brew to a competition and they insisted that they open the package and check the contents and when they learned I was shipping homebrew they of course refused.

Did I just get unlucky today or is this a new policy of theirs?

Nope, The same thing happened to me at UPS. They broke into the package put the stuff on the counter as they felt of it through the bubble wrap, then stuffed it all back in and sealed the box. I asked if they were looking for dope or bombs. He just said he needed to make sure it was packed well. I asked was everything packed well?, and he responded, Looks good. That was that. Off it went to the comp.

Latest posts

Back