Favorite yeast for Pear cider / Perry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawleyFarms

Reaction score
Just curious what everyone uses for fermenting pear cider. Have a 5 gallon bucket of pears to run through the press tonight or tomorrow and haven't decided what strain I want to use.

Wife's cousin just did 10 gallons of pear sage saison which had me thinking about using a saison yeast but I'm getting bored with them.

Thinking a wine yeast? Or maybe pour it over a Nottingham cake when I bottle the brew that's waiting for me? Planning to sorbate and backsweeten with the original juice to between semi-dry to semi-sweet.

Opinions? Suggestions?

I have some pears that I plan to juice as well. I plan on mixing half gal cider into my pear juice for a 3 gal batch. Add 3 cups brown sugar and use cote des blanc yeast.
If I have enough juice I may do a batch with Nottingham yeast.
I am brand new to this and look to hear other recommendations.

I've only done one Perry. I used WLP 300 and I think it turned out pretty good. I did hold the temps pretty low so no banana cider or anything. It actually turned out pretty clean.

I recently did a mixed fruit cider with 34/70 lager yeast at 10c that ended up holding on to the most fruit flavour of an cider I've done yet...

Back