Favorite/Worst Cheap Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hardest part of reading this is the realization that 1991 was 30 years ago.

As for my favorite cheap beer: Lonestar.

(Kind of can't believe this thread is 3 pages deep with no mention of Lonestar.)
When I was stationed in Texas (78-81) we had to make a pilgrimage to Luchenbach, TX, to pitch bottle caps, listen to Willie and Waylon and the boys, and of course throw back some Lone Stars. Between LS and Pearl (San Antonio), I survived instructing student Naval Aviators whose apparent goal in life was to kill me. Loved the flying while there, but never developed an affection for either of the beers.

I used to buy Pocono Pale ale and Steigmiar from Lionshead back in the day for my go to.
I can't stomach more than one Yuengling lager. It starts to taste like soap after that.

I have a group I call UNDRINKABLES.. The group contains all the "Headache Beers"... Budweiser, Coors (all of them ), Miller and especially almost all IPAs.

I used to buy Pocono Pale ale and Steigmiar from Lionshead back in the day for my go to.
I can't stomach more than one Yuengling lager. It starts to taste like soap after that.

Is there any coriander (cilantro) in Yuengling? I ask as a friend describes coriander as tasting like soap.

Haw, haw. I forgot about A&P beers and Giant Food beers.
I believe this is what it looked like.

1629579383366.jpeg

1. I would agree with Yuengling. Decent beer for the price.
2. The year was 1985. Me and two equally-broke college buddies were at the store looking for a deal on beer. We stumbled across generic beer. Grey can, black letters - "BEER" @ $1.50 /6 pack. Split three ways were were all in for .50 for 2 beers each. Took it home, iced it down and at the same time each of us popped one open, took a sip, made a ugly face and spit it out. 36 years later I still have my other still unopened can to remind me not to buy cheap beer. Picture below.

Attachments

• GenericBeer.jpg
    GenericBeer.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Geez... bringing back memories. I really, really enjoyed the smell of the 5 O'Clock coffee and the grinder at A&P. Was absoutly disappointed when I, finally, eventually, drank coffee.

Give me a bag of just ground 5 O'Clock coffee and I'm hooked ;-)
Eight O'clock, and yes I'm hooked. I'd give up beer looonnnnng before coffee!

1. I would agree with Yuengling. Decent beer for the price.
2. The year was 1985. Me and two equally-broke college buddies were at the store looking for a deal on beer. We stumbled across generic beer. Grey can, black letters - "BEER" @ $1.50 /6 pack. Split three ways were were all in for .50 for 2 beers each. Took it home, iced it down and at the same time each of us popped one open, took a sip, made a ugly face and spit it out. 36 years later I still have my other still unopened can to remind me not to buy cheap beer. Picture below.
Wanna see the German equivalent to "beer"?

getraenke-bier-pils-5-0-original-pils-0-5l-dose-a-1349469532.jpg

It costs 0.49 Euro per 0.5l can and it is a really good beer.

Eight O'clock, and yes I'm hooked. I'd give up beer looonnnnng before coffee!
I'm sipping on some Eight O'Clock right now!
I grind my own beans (my vacuum pot needs a courser grind than the preground stuff in the stores), and their Colombian is the best bang for the buck for whole bean coffee.

I'm sipping on some Eight O'Clock right now!
I grind my own beans (my vacuum pot needs a courser grind than the preground stuff in the stores), and their Colombian is the best bang for the buck for whole bean coffee.
For close to 40 years we used a compact Braun coffee bean grinder. It had nearly infinite grind coarseness adjustment from espresso powder to coarse crush. Either my wife or I would get up with the alarm clock, grind beans, load the drip brewer and wait.

Shortly after retirement the faithful grinder finally gave up the ghost and was replaced with our current Cuisinart vacuum pot with built-in cone grinder, just like the Braun had. At 7:00 am it turns itself on, grinds beans, dumps them in the basket and automatically brews 12 cups. If the sound doesn't stir me, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee certainly will! Better than any lame alarm clock.

Eight O'Clock coffee is available at a local Wegman's grocery and we'll use it to tame down some of the stronger roast beans we get from time to time. Some of our favorite coffees come from small regional roasters like Baltimore Coffee in, well, Baltimore, and Kawaa Breakfast Blend that our daughter sends us from St. Pete, FL.

My personal favorites come from Caribou and Green Mountain, and 100% Kona and Kauai (not blends) from Hawaii are our exotic favorites. For all around consistency, it's hard to beat Dunkin' Donuts Original blend, which is like the McDonald's of brewed coffee.

Life without beer would be hard to endure, but life without coffee would not be worth living.

My favourite 'cheap' beer is Old Style Pilsner. We call them 'Grampies' colloquially, because almost everyone's Grandpa had them in the fridge. I remember finding a half case frozen into the ice in the local river...we chipped away for hours, and it was perfect!! 😆 It's a classic Pilsner, and actually isn't very cheap anymore!

Old_Style_Pilsner.png

Worst cheap beer was at the Strathcona Hotel (ca. 1920) in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. (Think Moe's Tavern) They used to have a day every month where they would sell half-pints for 10¢, the original 1920's price, and they didn't care how many you had on the table. It was the worst recycled draft we'd ever had, but as poor students, this night was epic...next morning was absolutely the worst 🤢, but we kept going back. 🤣🤣

Strath.jpg

Last edited:
...current Cuisinart vacuum pot with built-in cone grinder...

Confused me for a minute, until I realized you were referring to an insulated carafe.
By vacuum pot, I mean one of these:
1629661245911.png

Vintage Sunbeam Coffeemaster, circa 1950s. Grounds in the top, water in the bottom. Water heats, air expands, pushing the the hot water up a tube to mix with the grounds. After a time, the heater switches to low, the air in the bottom cools and contracts, sucking the brewed coffee back down through a filter. Makes a nice cup of coffee. But if the coffee is too finely ground, they clog the filter and you get, to use a brewing term, a stuck sparge.

Back in the late 80s and/or early 90s, there was a beer imported from (I think) Switzerland of all places, called Cardinal Amber Light. It was about $7 a case and quite palatable, particularly compared the the BMCs.

Yes that is right, Switzerland. Although, as a Swiss, nothing to be particularly proud about...
Of all things, to learn that Cardinal has an export history to the US...I would have never, ever imagined it.
Let them try to export nowadays, with all the good beer you guys have over there in the meantime.
Cardinal is one of the larger macro-brands here (if you can call it "macro", in our tiny country), every second restaurant has it on tap, and their standard lager is, well, less than remarkable.
Maybe their Amber is a bit better then, if it is still produced. Should give it a try when I have the chance (maybe...).

Yes that is right, Switzerland. Although, as a Swiss, nothing to be particularly proud about...
Of all things, to learn that Cardinal has an export history to the US...I would have never, ever imagined it.
Let them try to export nowadays, with all the good beer you guys have over there in the meantime.
Cardinal is one of the larger macro-brands here (if you can call it "macro", in our tiny country), every second restaurant has it on tap, and their standard lager is, well, less than remarkable.
Maybe their Amber is a bit better then, if it is still produced. Should give it a try when I have the chance (maybe...).
In the late 90s and early 2010s before retiring I traveled at least 1-2 times per month to western Europe, quite often to Zurich, but never remember having Cardinal beer. It's a beautiful country and I miss traveling there a lot. Geneva was also quite nice, but Zurich was my favorite.

In the late 90s and early 2010s before retiring I traveled at least 1-2 times per month to western Europe, quite often to Zurich, but never remember having Cardinal beer. It's a beautiful country and I miss traveling there a lot. Geneva was also quite nice, but Zurich was my favorite.

Then you probably had Feldschlösschen, which is the other main macro-brand here (it's actually bigger than Cardinal).
Cardinal is more common in the French speaking part, and above all in rural areas AFAIK. Around my working area nearly every restaurant has the stuff.
Since the original Cardinal brewery was closed about ten years ago, also the Cardinal brand is now produced at the Feldschlösschen facility.
I also do not know why they still carry the two separate brands since both beers are now produced by the same brewery, and taste basically the same ;-). Oh well, of course do I know: marketing...
Luckily, nowadays we do also have a booming craft beer scene here... and Germany isn't that far away for great lagers...

My favourite 'cheap' beer is Old Style Pilsner. We call them 'Grampies' colloquially, because almost everyone's Grandpa had them in the fridge. I remember finding a half case frozen into the ice in the local river...we chipped away for hours, and it was perfect!! 😆 It's a classic Pilsner, and actually isn't very cheap anymore!

View attachment 739917

Worst cheap beer was at the Strathcona Hotel (ca. 1920) in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. (Think Moe's Tavern) They used to have a day every month where they would sell half-pints for 10¢, the original 1920's price, and they didn't care how many you had on the table. It was the worst recycled draft we'd ever had, but as poor students, this night was epic...next morning was absolutely the worst 🤢, but we kept going back. 🤣🤣

View attachment 739918
Ahhh! The National Beer of Saskatchewan!! (LOL). Back in my University days, it was one of the cheaper beers in Alberta. One anecdote was that you could make a Prairie necklace by crushing the cans and placing them on a string around your neck. Does the label still have the many white rabbits on it? It has been a long time since I have had one of these beers.

As for my favorite cheap beer, I would have to say that it is Yeungling Lager which I would have when travelling for work.

By far Negra Modelo. Can't beat the price for a Dunkel.

PBR at concerts because it's dirt cheap if they sell and and decent in the heat...till it gets warm. Narragansett for the same situations and reasons. Also, both of those beers have nostalgic value to me. 'gansett because I'm from the region, and PBR because I liked it before it was cool ;).

By far Negra Modelo. Can't beat the price for a Dunkel.

PBR at concerts because it's dirt cheap if they sell and and decent in the heat...till it gets warm. Narragansett for the same situations and reasons. Also, both of those beers have nostalgic value to me. 'gansett because I'm from the region, and PBR because I liked it before it was cool ;).
Man, you must be REALLY old!

Favorite nostalgia beer....Stroh's original recipe. Every now and then you can find it here in Michigan, but for the most part it's as elusive as Sasquatch riding a unicorn, touring in a rock band with Elvis and the Loch Ness Monster.

.....Does the label still have the many white rabbits on it? It has been a long time since I have had one of these beers.

Ha ha, yes it does~! I used to remember how many there were on each label, and it used to be a drinking game to find them all. Kinda like 'Where's Waldo' except with more booze! 🤣 :mug:

I have a group I call UNDRINKABLES.. The group contains all the "Headache Beers"... Budweiser, Coors (all of them ), Miller and especially almost all IPAs.

Yup. Should have listed all the IPAs I still have to tolerate from time to time.

Are cold snacks cheap? 6 pack of 16 oz cans for like 8.50 I think? If that's out of stock then I reach for rainer, Hamm's, or tecate light. Worst beer has to be the champagne of beers.

Retail commercial beer here in NJ is getting outrageously expensive lately. Who the f-ck pays over $12 a six, seriously?
This why homebrewing 5 gallons at a time pays off, even if it incurs some labor.

Favorite commercial lager I can't afford anymore - Founders Solid Gold (Went from $13/fifteen pack, now over $19 local.)
Favorite domestic seasonal I CAN afford - Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler (Midwestern only, yet local distributors ship in the shandy.) :mad:
Favorite cheap import - Wernesgrüner Pils ($6/sixpack, but out of state in VA. Not found in any NJ Aldi's.)
Commonly purchased - Miller Lite (Found at $24/thirty. Lemon slice kills the fruity corn hopstank.)

The Untouchables List - Corona, Heineken, Bud, Bud Light due to skunking and fusels.

Last edited:
Worst for me is Genny Light. When I was 21 and hosting a party it was the cheapest 30 rack in the store, so I bought it for people that refused to BYOB. It was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to hand it out. I remember it tasted something like chewing on freshly cut grass that a skunk had died on.

Latest posts

Back