Favorite Session Beer No Longer Made!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
I found out The Lion Brewery stopped making Pocono Pale Ale. Now I have to clone it.

This happen to anyone else? Anyone ever tried to clone this particular beer?

contact the brewery and ask them for the recipe. I have done that with a couple small local breweries and they had no problem helping me out.

i think they changed the hops a bit from cascade to athanum but it tastes pretty darn close, i cant tell the difference. check out the steg IPA while youre at it.

contact the brewery and ask them for the recipe. I have done that with a couple small local breweries and they had no problem helping me out.

Tried contacting them after it was suggested. What I wrote and their replies are below--they really don't care for home brewers...

What I asked
"I'm a home brewer who does the typical 5 gallon batches. Recently I've switch to all grain brewing and become interested in cloning a beer. I'd like to clone Pocono Pale Ale--my favorite beer or than an irish stout, but you stopped making that crisp American Ale I love so much. Could you give me some tips in cloning it? I'm thinking it's a light grain bill using american 2 row, carapills or carafoam, and hopped with Mt Hood and Cascade hops. Could you give me some ideas as to how light my grain bill should be for 75% efficiency, or what my originall gravity should be? Is this beer dry hopped? Which is the odor and bittering hop?
Any help would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks!"

What they said:
"Thanks for contacting us! Unfortunately, even though we no longer make the Pocono Pale Ale, we would not be able to disclose the recipe or formulation. There is always the chance that one day we would revive the line and start production again. Once more, thanks for contacting us, but we are sorry to disappoint.
Sincerely,
The Lion Brewery "

So, the only option is to start attempting to clone it with the help of you wonderful folks. It would be cool to clone it and then respond by sending them the clone recipe... :D

If you have any luck post or pm me the recipe. I have tried that brew a few times while I was in the poconos and its really great!

Back