Favorite pairings with Motueka

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As the title states, what's your favorite pairing with Motueka?

I just used it for the first time. It's a black IPA, really probably more like a hoppy dark ale, as it's not as bitter or as dry as it should be. But I'm loving the aroma for this hop! It's combined with cascade this time. Pretty good pairing, outperforming the cascade, even though they were used equally in a 5 min, steep, and dry hop.

Curious what it would be like with citra.

Anyways, on to your experiences...

I made an IPA fermented with Mangos. (5.5 gal with mangos, 5.5 w/o)

I paired it with Galaxy and Citra hops. Real nice mix of hops

As in a combo with either of those, or a combo of all three?

Both. I use it with sorachi all the time for a lemon/lime flavor. Adding citra on puts it in another dimension. I'd go light on the citra, maybe use half as much as you're using for moteuka because the citra can easily overpower the other two.

Both. I use it with sorachi all the time for a lemon/lime flavor. Adding citra on puts it in another dimension. I'd go light on the citra, maybe use half as much as you're using for moteuka because the citra can easily overpower the other two.

Nice. I'll have to try it. I've been wanting to try sorachi ace for quite some time.

I made a hawaiin punch amber ale with mouteka, citra, meridian, and amarillo that was pretty bangin

really pairs well with any other fruity or citrusy hop

I did an APA w/ equal parts Motueka, Waimea and El Dorado and it was pretty nice. I also think it would go really well with just about any other fruity hop. It comes thru nicely in a dry hop.

I use Pacific Gen to bitter and then a combination of Motueka, Rauka and Waimea to make what I call "NZIPA." It tastes a lot like pineapple at first and then mellows into a a tropical fruit bomb.

I brewed a beer similar to Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale. It was a combo of Motueka and Southern Cross that turned out really good.

Back