Favorite Commercial Brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
What's everyone's a) favorite daily-drink style commercial beer
and b) favorite special "Holy Cow That's the Best Beer I Think I Ever Had" commercial beer?

For me, daily bought beer when no homebrew available is Alexander Keith's IPA which is not I think an IPA at all but a pretty tasty beer.

The best beer I ever tasted was a smoked beer from some weird little private distillery in England. I think I was responsible for about half the keg in 2 weeks.

Available in regular quantity here, I think my favorite special beer is probably "Maudite", a bottle conditioned ale from Quebec.

For daily drinking, I really like Hoegaarden wit. My favorite style over all is pale ale/IPA.

Probably my favorite overall commercial brew (available locally) is Stone IPA. Hop Rod Rye is awesome, but not available around here. Same with Dogfish Head's 90 min IPA....I have yet to find any around here. Arrogant Bastard rocks the hizzle, too.

Every day - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Pilsner Urquell
Special - Whatever's on tap that I haven't tried :)

When I'm cheap and before my wife was preg: Miller Lite
When I'm hanging with my homies: A 40 of Old English
When I'm buying for myself: Blue Moon, Franziskaner, Sam Adams, Chimnay, MGD, Goose Island (Chicago's homebrew!), or whatever else tickles my fancy. Oh yeah, Newcastle Brown is high on my list.

In the pub at home in Yorkshire Black Sheep Bitter.
In the pub before joining my ship in Aberdeen Duvel or Leffe Blond or Bruin.
At home on leave whatever Belgian beer has taken my fancy last time in the shop.

Roger.

My favorites of the commercial brews run toward the German beers, Dinkelacker and DAB. Amoung the local brews I love Long Trail Ale out of Vermont, Old Slugger Pale Ale from Cooperstown Brewing Co and any of the beers from Cooper's Cave Brewing Co in Glens Falls NY.

Wow, I can't believe all of the major domestics in people's list. Sorry to slam your choice, but MGD! Yuck!

Here are mine, slam away!

Every day drinking:

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale / Summit Extra Pale Ale / Summit IPA / Goose Island IPA

On occasion:

Belle's Two Hearted IPA (mmmmmmm) / Blue Moon (very seldom) / Red Stripe (gotta be in a Jamaican mood...it's where i had my honeymoon, and I drank a lot of it!) / Negra Modelo

=Badfish=

Old Style Baby! :rolleyes:

New Belgium Sunshine (Wit) is a summer favorite. Negro Modelo, anything that looks intriguing to try quite frankly... Mmm, beer.

Schlafley Pale Ale for my everyday favorite. It's a regional beer, only available within about 150 miles of St Louis.

For the special beer, I'd say Harps Lager is my favorite. The beer is so balanced, so well done, I love it.

And I have to say, the only reason I've bought commercial beer in the last year was to get the bottles. (and one time we bought Mich. Ultra for someone a guest who was watching carbs.)

every day drinkers... miller high life... can't beat it with a stick on a hot summer day.

i may enjoy good heavy beers, but mustn't forget, or turn my back on my shanty roots... ;)

t1master said:
every day drinkers... miller high life... can't beat it with a stick on a hot summer day.

i may enjoy good heavy beers, but mustn't forget, or turn my back on my shanty roots... ;)

Ah the high life, that was my beer of choice last year in college. It is a little more expensive than natie light, but a lot better. I would have prefered to have drank Newcastle brown, Heineken dark, or something from Sam Smith's, but down in my little college town there was only one place to get those, and it was far more expensive.

t1master said:

In the immortal words of "Bill the Cat" from Bloom County.... "AAackk!" (as he coughs up a hairball.)

Miller High Life?!? You guys can keep it. To each his own.

My everyday drinker is listed below, just pick one! :D

Another vote for the Champagne of Beers.

Its cheap, its from my home state, the chick on the label is soon going on my shoulder, and it is hands down the best beer you can have on a hot day.

I played softball tonight, and on the way to the game I picked up a sixer of High Life (I refrained form bringing Smuttynose IPA, it just didn't seem right) and MAN did that go down smooth. There is nothing better.

I need to buy more of it. :D

"Everyday" beer for me is either Moosehead or Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve. As far as price they are pretty much the same, up here, as anything from the Big 3. Heck, sometimes they're cheaper.

Every day? The same beer every single day? Awful idea. But if forced, I would probably go with Sam Adams Belgian White.

The best commercial beer I have ever had? Oh God. Depending on season it would be either: Oaked Arrogant Bastard, Ruination IPA (also from Stone), Dead guy ale (from Rogue) Ephemere, or La Fin Du Monde. And even those choices seem shaky now.

Variety is the spice of life. I tell my wife I settled on one woman, so I must have every beer.

I have heard good things about this so called -Arrogant Bastard- but I have never been able to sample any. Maybe I should try a clone, lol, that way when I actually do get to try it I will see how much I was off by.

The best beer I know of is in Longmont Colorado at "The Pumphouse" right on the Main Street. They make great beer that is every bit as good as any I ever tasted from Germany/Belgum. It's a Gausthaus environment and has great food too.

With two kids in college I refrain from buying 3.00 a bottle beer (tis why I homebrew), and Miller works fine, and sometimes Mickeys are great, but mostly I try not to run outta homebrew ;)

Oahu said:
Every day? The same beer every single day? Awful idea. But if forced, I would probably go with Sam Adams Belgian White.

The best commercial beer I have ever had? Oh God. Depending on season it would be either: Oaked Arrogant Bastard, Ruination IPA (also from Stone), Dead guy ale (from Rogue) Ephemere, or La Fin Du Monde. And even those choices seem shaky now.

Variety is the spice of life. I tell my wife I settled on one woman, so I must have every beer.

Don't get me wrong, I don't drink the same thing every day nor do I drink every day. I was merely saying that if I wanted just to grab a 12-pack of something from the store to maybe take camping or on a picnic and can't or don't want to bring my entire kegging setup that's what I would generally get.

2-3 dollar-a-bottle beer is great for relaxing on the weekend or after dinner or something but Uncle Sam doesn't pay well enough to have top-shelf beer all the time.

Pabst Blue Ribbon. Keystone - Light or Ice. Miller High Life. Michelob Ul.. nah, what am I talkin about lol?

Bell's Oberon is a lil somethin I've been gettin into recently. But for my favorite all - time: Upland Wheat. It's from a little craft brewery in my town. Check out www.uplandbeer.com. Sorry to name 2 beers of the same style, but hey, that's what I'm into at the moment.

Back