Favorite Coffee Prep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What are you using to brew your morning joe?

I started with a french press, moved up to a cheapo starbucks espresso machine, and now have some ridiculous fully automatic thing.

Ironically, some of the best coffee I've ever had came out of some cheap Nespresso machines in Europe.

We have a Nespresso machine at work. I used to buy sleeves of capsules like a madman....

Anyway, these days I'm mostly using a Bunn Phase Brew, but I do on occasion break out the French press.

I use a Cuisinart coffee maker that I've had for 5 years. Still brews some pretty good coffee. I roast my own beans though so that does make a difference.

Technivorm during the week, Rancilio Silvia for weekends. Then the moka pot, vac pot, and french press occasionally come out as well. :)

I use the pour over method

Pour-over-coffee-brewing-method-1.jpg

French Press. I should get a nice pour over, but haven't gotten around to it.

I get so darned frustrated over trying to have a decent cup.

Now I do a home made pour over or perk from my old, recently rediscovered, 5 cup percolator which was a gift from dear ol' mom when I was 14, 42 years back. I find it to give a mighty powerful reminisce at 4:30 AM.

French press AM
Aeropress PM

The ritual that precedes the caffeine rush is important, no matter the method.

One of these days I'm going to convince myself to pick up a moka pot, even though I hardly ever take the time to even use the french press.

I might just make myself a french press brew tonight.

One of these days I'm going to convince myself to pick up a moka pot, even though I hardly ever take the time to even use the french press.

I might just make myself a french press brew tonight.

I've heard other people say they feel like a french press takes more time than using an automatic coffee maker, but to me it doesn't seem that way. Even if it does, I'd hate to think I don't have five minutes to make a cup of coffee.

I've heard other people say they feel like a french press takes more time than using an automatic coffee maker, but to me it doesn't seem that way. Even if it does, I'd hate to think I don't have five minutes to make a cup of coffee.

It's the cleanup that always seems to take a long time. With my auto espresso machine I just make a cup and go. I'm always itching to get out the door and start my day. I could enjoy a cup after dinner, but I'm always drinking beer by then and it's hard to make the switch.

Just a pinch between the cheek and gum. :D

Keurig at home, mostly. If not that, a Presto percolator. At work we have an office model Bunn.

I thought the Keurig was the dumbest thing to happen to coffee makers, until my wife was gifted one and we found the reusable cups. This thing makes good coffee.

My wife keeps the French press I gave her at work. She says they have some "piece of crap coffee colored water maker".

I use an old Starbucks Aroma for usual daily auto drip, but when I want a really good cup I reach for my Chemex. Aeropress is great for trips.

This is my favourite ritual of the day.

3oz Bialletti stovetop moka pot shares the element with 3oz of milk in a pot. 4.5 minutes on the medium high setting and the coffee is pulled off before the color turns from tan to clear. This minimizes excessive bitterness.

The milk is frothed in a stainless steel french press style frother. The result is 3oz coffee, 1.5oz foam, 1.5oz milk: my personal cappuccino. I rarely purchase coffee from the baristas cuz' I like mine better.

The bean is what ever new single source medium roast Stoke Roasted is purveying in their One World series. Currently it is Sulawesi.

I cold brew coffee concentrate in a mason jar and then filter out the grinds. I can make a weeks worth of concentrate at once, keep it in the fridge, and boil a pot of water every morning to dilute for consumption.

Just talking about cold brewing. Work coffee is from a maker. At home I use French press. About 1.5 oz per 2 cups. A tablespoon is pretty comparable to an ounce it seems. Just wondering if more coffee is needed for cold brewing because I tried it last night and the color is lighter but the flavor is really good drinking it cold

Auto drip technivorm is my method of choice, but contemplating the cold brew method, as what I've heard, it extracts less of the compounds that evolve into bitter bad tasting coffee with time AFTER brewing, compared with traditional drip or other hot brewed techniques. I also have a vac pot for special occasions, and a french press. The press makes nice coffee, but cleaning it is a pita. One of these days I'm going to buy a Silvio rancillo espresso machine, but today is not that day

Best coffee I've ever had was camp coffee.

Boil water over fire in kettle, add grinds, put a filter screen over cup, and pour.

Best coffee I've ever had was camp coffee.

Boil water over fire in kettle, add grinds, put a filter screen over cup, and pour.

Agreed, especially after a days hiking/hunting/patrolling in the cold and wet.

Usually I use a french press (or plunger as they are called here), i even have a outdoors thermo type one

Back