Father's day secret ingredient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
On father's day, after the bar b q with my dad and my son and some friends, I made a Russian Imperial Stout. Was fun end of the afternoon, and all was well with the mash, brew, and cool down.

So I go to get my yeast starter that was in a jug with sanitized tinfoil over the top. I had bought it up from the basement, but to keep it out of the sunlight I placed it on the floor beside a filing cabinet. Well I go to grab it to pitch in, and there is a little hole in the top of the tinfoil. Suspiciously just about the size of a 1.5 year old boy's finger. And I just happen to be the dad of a 1.5 year old boy who loves to stick his finger in things.

So however this beer turns out, there is no way I will be able to replace the exact bacteria cocktail that was in little Luke's mouth on father's day 2013. I had to laugh, and of course relax with a homebrew while I await this unique beer.

:mug:

Stauffbier - I am contemplating what to name this now. But the name will absolutely pay homage to my favorite brewing helper. This is the first batch he had a "hand" with!

passedpawn - That's a good idea. Maybe save a bottle or 2 for his graduation in 16.5 years. they should stay good with oxygen absorbing caps, right?

good news is that it has been bubbling away. So whether we made beer, or just cultured bacteria from his mouth, we have some action!

Reminds me of the Sticky Finger ball game toy. You had this big plastic finger with a suction cup on the tip of the finger & a trigger on the other end.
You played catch with them. Must've been a Wamo! product?...

Well SWMBO bought me the rest of the kegging equipment I needed for my birthday last week. I hadn't opened or tasted this RIS that my son put his finger in since I put it in the bucket. I just left it for 6 months since father's day. I was a little anxious and clueless how it would turn out. It tastes GREAT! better than I had originally hoped.

loaded it into a keg, purged out the air and put it back in the basement to age a little longer. Let it sit another couple months...should only get better

Now if I could only figure out what exactly was on his fingers that day, it is the secret ingredient!

Back