Father In-Law wants a BMC clone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jborho

Reaction score
Would it be less of a pain in the butt just to go buy two cases of this junk and dump it into a corny. Of course I could always drink a bunch of my brew and let my kidneys and liver filter out the good stuff and make his BMC.

I have learned brewing for the father in law is impossible. Take some pilsner malt, maybe 1 hop and ferment as clean as humanly possible.

The ability of the BMC companies to produce a high quality product at a popular price (such as it is) precludes, at least in my mind, any attempt to brew something like that. I'd go to the store and buy him some.

If you're up to a challenge, and you're good at lagers, you could do it. There are a couple of important things to consider, though. You will want to have good water for it, and you'll want to pitch a HUGE starter and start the fermentation at about 48 degrees, and keep it at about 50 degrees until it's time for the diacetyl rest.

The thing is, even with good temperature control, quality ingredients, and so on, sometimes the homebrewed version has too much "flavor". My dad tends to like my cream ale recipe (it's like Genessee Cream Ale) but not my lighter lagers. He doesn't like my pilsners and such, as they are "too much".

I make one beer for some BMC lovers that want more flavor. I call it "fizzy yellow beer" and it's made as an ale. But it's NOT a BMC clone- it's for BMC drinkers who are wanting to get more into craft beers without having a heavier beer. Both the cream ale recipe and the fizzy yellow beer recipe are in my posted recipes, if you're interested. But they aren't very close to a BMC clone at all.

If you value your FIL, tell him you can't do it without making him help. Ownership is the first step in homebrewing.
If you don't and would rather not spend 6-8 hours with him, tell him you can't.
The balls in your court. Keep your balls close.

I'm no BMC basher, but if he is dead set on a "clone" - meaning no creative license to improve the conept - you'd be better off explaining how tough it is to recreate that product for the price the big boys do it at. In other words, "What I do takes a lot of time and effort, which would be better spent brewing a different beer while drinking cheaply purchased BMC from the store."

Now if he is open to tasting a true pilsner or pilsener ;), then you should ask him to brew it with you so that he will appreciate the product, which will be well worth brewing for yourself as opposed to just buying in the store.

I'm a Pilsner lover, not BMC, but true pilsners. If he wants to be involved in the whole process, and make him aware of it, Kudo's. If not, well, don't do it.

You could always say that your brewery has committed to brew under a Reinheitsgebot.

I like this idea, and I like the idea of him helping me. He will be in town later this week, maybe I should plan an extract batch. Or maybe show him with all grain just how hard it is.

Would it be less of a pain in the butt just to go buy two cases of this junk and dump it into a corny. Of course I could always drink a bunch of my brew and let my kidneys and liver filter out the good stuff and make his BMC.

This is simple.

3 lbs 6 row
5lbs flaked rice or flaked Corn
Nottinham yeast fermented at around 59 degrees.
2lbs rice hulls
1/2 oz Cluster @60

Mash at 146 for 3 hours Bring up to 150 for an hour, over sparge(only half joking) and boil. Primary at 59 for 15 days, Move to Secondary Bring up to around 68, add 10 Drops of Beno and let set another 15 days. Add 1/4 Pack of Notti at bottling or Kegging, Let carb and cold condition for 30 days. and you should be pretty close to the swill they sell.

I would suggest looking for the cream of three crops recipe. It's delicious for BMC drinkers and my FIL loves it! Works to appease him as well as my brother in-law.

Spartan1979 said:
That's always been my thinking on this. It's just not worth my time.

plus the opportunity cost. Not only are you wasting time brewing a beer you can buy for 35 cents a can, but youre also not brewing that porter you always wanted to try

Standard American Lager (Close to BMC clone)

OG: 1.046
FG: 1.008
ADF: 81%
IBU: 12
Color: 3 SRM (5 ECB)
Alcohol: 5.0% ABV (3.9% ABW)
Boil: 60 Minutes
Pre-Boil Volume: 7 Gallons (26.5L)
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.039 (9.9 P)

Extract:
Light LME (2.2L) 6.25lbs (2.83kg) 80.6%
Rice Syrup (0L) 1.5lbs (0.68kg) 19.4%

All-Grain:
American 2-row 8.3lbs (3.76kg)
Flaked Rice 2lbs (0.9kg)

Hops:
Hallertau 4.0% AA for 60 min 0.72oz (20g) IBU: 12

Yeast:
White Labs WLP840 American Lager, Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager or Fermentis Saflager S-23

Fermentation:
18 grams rehydrated dry yeast, 3.5 liquid yeast packages or make appropriate starter. Ferment at 50F (10C). Lager for 4 weeks. Carbonate to 2.5 to 3 volumes.

Source: Jamil Zainasheff

Either brew it or don't.

I don't know what the point of your post was other than to look like a complete arrogant snob.

Try and brew that style...bet you would be in for a FAR more difficult challenge than you imagined.

Back