Fat Tire Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast #1792 Fat Tire Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter
Smack Pack Only
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
11 @ 68° F.
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68° F.
Tasting Notes
Seemed overly sweet to me on day 64 (39 days in bottle).
Extract: 7 lbs. Extra Pale LME (60 Min.)
Grains: 3 oz. Biscuit Malt
1/2 lb. Crystal 90L
1/3 lb. Victory Malt
6 oz. Munich Malt
Hops: 60 Min. - 3/4 oz. Northern Brewer (4.95 AAU, 9.88 IBU)
15 Min. - 1/2 oz. Hersbrucker (1.65 AAU, 1.63 IBU)
05 Min. - 1/4 oz. Willamette (0.95 AAU, 0.38 IBU)
Yeast: Wyeast Fat Tire Yeast
Priming Sugar: 4.5 oz. corn sugar/glucose
IBUs: 12.46???? --- 28????
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.016

Day 0:
- This was a partial boil of 2.5 gal. and 2.75 gal. top up water.
- Steeped all specialty grains in a muslin bag at 155° F. for 15 min.
- Raised temp to boiling and added extract.
- Added hops according to above schedule.
- Chilled in ice bath to 78° F. in about 20 Min.
- Added to primary fermenter and toped up to 5.25 gal. (with boiled and chilled water)
- Stirred vigorously to mix and aerate wort for 3 min.
- Took O.G. reading
- Pitched yeast
- Stirred vigorously 1 Min.

Day 11:
-Measured F.G. of 1.016.
-Racked to glass carboy.

Day 25:
-Boiled priming sugar in 2 cups water for 10 min.
-Added priming sugar/water to bottling bucket
-Racked cider from carboy to bottling bucket, pausing occasionally to gently stir cider and priming sugar.
-Bottled in 5- - 12 oz. bottles.

Day 53:
-Put one bottle in fridge two days ago, and tried it today.
-It had a slight poof when opened, but is flat.
-It's overly sweet, with an overly bitter finish.

Day 64:
-Chilled 1 bottle in freezer for 15 min. and opened it.
-It's finally cabbed, but still too sweet/malty. The bitterness is probably in the correct range now.

Thanks for the recipe. It's SWMBO's favorite and I've been meaning to look for the clone. How she will worship the ground I walk on! Gratsi!

I have a similar recipie in the bottles waiting now. I did not use hersbrucker but used the other two.

I used a dry yeast and it sat in the primary for 3 weeks than to bottles. About 2 more weeks and I can tell you how it came out.

Turend out great. I havent had a Fat Tire in a while but it was very good beer.

I know this is a dead thread but, has any one kegged and force carbed this? I am using the BYO recipe from the BYO mag from last summer....Will be brewing this weekend.

Well I brewed and served my clone (from BYO) next to a glass that was poured from a bottle of New Belgium's Fat Tire, and my 2 tasters could not pick out which was which, they guessed my homebrew was the commercial beer. NIIIICCCCEEEEE

Well I brewed and served my clone (from BYO) next to a glass that was poured from a bottle of New Belgium's Fat Tire, and my 2 tasters could not pick out which was which, they guessed my homebrew was the commercial beer. NIIIICCCCEEEEE

well that sounds fantastic. hit us with recipe?

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - New Belgium's Fat Tire Clone - Issues

Sorry for Zombifying this thread, but I had a question about the above recipe. I'm having a hard time understanding the boil instructions. It says to "Remove grains and add dried malt extract. Bring to boil and add 0.66 oz. Willamette pellet hops. Boil for 60 minutes and add Irish moss. Boil 10 minutes and then add 0.50 oz. Fuggle hops. Boil another 20 minutes, add remaining Fuggles and remove from heat. Cool to about 70° F and transfer..." Does this mean the DME is added before the boil actually gets going? Also, according to this recipe, the boil goes a full hour after the first hops and irish moss addition before the next hops additions... am I reading this correctly? I'm just getting started in the hobby, and I'm so locked into the traditional "1 hour boil" schedule that any departure sets off alarms in my dimly lit head. Thanks for the help!

Sorry for Zombifying this thread, but I had a question about the above recipe. I'm having a hard time understanding the boil instructions. It says to "Remove grains and add dried malt extract. Bring to boil and add 0.66 oz. Willamette pellet hops. Boil for 60 minutes and add Irish moss. Boil 10 minutes and then add 0.50 oz. Fuggle hops. Boil another 20 minutes, add remaining Fuggles and remove from heat. Cool to about 70° F and transfer..." Does this mean the DME is added before the boil actually gets going? Also, according to this recipe, the boil goes a full hour after the first hops and irish moss addition before the next hops additions... am I reading this correctly? I'm just getting started in the hobby, and I'm so locked into the traditional "1 hour boil" schedule that any departure sets off alarms in my dimly lit head. Thanks for the help!

I think they mean to boil just for 60 minutes, but it certainly is weird! I'd change it to just this:

60 minutes: willamette
20 minutes: fuggles
15 minutes: Irish moss
0 minutes: fuggles

It is worded rather poorly, thanks for helping out! I've been dying for Fat Tire ever since I used to tour through areas that had it...now that I'm slowly understanding brewing, I may take matters into my own hands:)

This is bad, I've my first batch still in primary, and I already have my next 4 brews planned...

FYI, BYO magazine has since published a clone which was given to them by New Belgium. They gave:

Target 60min
Willamette 10min
Golding Flameout

Total IBU is 17.

I'm brewing this recipe this week and it seems to have been accepted as the closest recipe. I think someone posted the entire thing on here somewhere. If not, I'll do it once I get it done.

FYI, BYO magazine has since published a clone which was given to them by New Belgium. They gave:

Target 60min
Willamette 10min
Golding Flameout

Total IBU is 17.

I'm brewing this recipe this week and it seems to have been accepted as the closest recipe. I think someone posted the entire thing on here somewhere. If not, I'll do it once I get it done.

Yes, please post the entire recipe. Thanks.

This is the AHS kit I got:
8.25 lb Pale
1 lb Munich
6 oz Victory
8 oz Crystal 75L

.75 oz Target 60min
.5 oz Willamette 10min
.5 oz Kent Golding 0min

Mash at 150

White Labs California Ale V 051 or Wyeast American Ale II 1272 or Dry Nottingham

This kit was close but at the time I didn't have a real Fat Tire to compare.

I was going to wait until I get to taste and compare it to post the recipe and my notes. Give me a couple more days. I just put it on to carb yesterday and should be drinking it early next week.

This is the AHS kit I got:
8.25 lb Pale
1 lb Munich
6 oz Victory
8 oz Crystal 75L

.75 oz Target 60min
.5 oz Willamette 10min
.5 oz Kent Golding 0min

Mash at 150

White Labs California Ale V 051 or Wyeast American Ale II 1272 or Dry Nottingham

This kit was close but at the time I didn't have a real Fat Tire to compare.

The recipe I used was almost exactly the same as this one.

Gave it a quick taste last night (not fully carbed yet). My first impression is that this recipe is not even close. I'm hoping that with little more carbonation and a real Fat Tire to compare it to (my friend has two of them), that I can figure out exactly what I think it needs. Going into the fermentor, the wort tasted much more biscuity/nutty. Now, that seems to have faded a lot.

Back