Fast Fermentation????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNOYES88

Reaction score
I started an OCTANE IPA from Midwest Supplies. I boiled, cooled, and pitched yeast sunday jan 14th and the OG was 1.064. I have seen no visible signs of fermentation in 4 days. I had anticipated this beer to take longer to ferment, however, 2 days in a row my SG is at 1.012 which is right where the recipe says FG should be.

My questions are:
1- Is it normal to have a fermentation go this fast?
2- Am I ready to transfer to secondary to dry hop and add my oak chips?
3- Am I going to have a hard time bottle carbing with the fast fermentation and still having 2 weeks left to dry hop/be on oak/ age?

Please and thank you for any advice brewmasters! :mug:

I made and oak tea ( boiled oak chips for 20 mins) then added my priming sugar to that. Then bottled it and it had good carbonation in two weeks

let it hang for about 4 more days in primary, then transfer it over with the oak/dry hop. this really isn't that fast for primary fermentation, if you do everything right (for a reasonable gravity), it should reach terminal gravity within a week. BUT, that doesn't mean transfer it right away, biochemical things are still happening in the beer that need to take place before you transfer it away from the yeast cake. 10-14 days is a good starting point, but since that beer was above 1.060, i would give it more like 14+. But, since you will be doing a secondary, it will continue to clean up non desirable byproducts as it sits in there.

the primary fermentation shouldn't have much impact on bottle conditioning, there should still be plenty of yeast left to take care of carbonation.

Thank you both very much. This is my first actual beer as compared to apple cider i did. However, love for beer is what made me start brewing in the first place. Plus the lack of unique beers in my area is very limited unfortunately.

Back