Fast Cider Recipe, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brann_mac_Finnchad

Reaction score
I want to make up a four gallon batch of cider for an event in mid July. I'm aiming at a relatively sweet (1.015) cider, non-carbed (don't have the equipment for it), that tastes strongly of apples.
My proposed recipe:

4 gallons apple cider (probably treetop
4 cups white/brown sugar, caramelized
8-10 apples, pureed (mostly tart varieties
lemon juice (4 tbsp?

I'm not sure what strain of yeast to use--last time I used Munton’s Active Brewing Yeast, but am not sure if I want to use it again. I want something that won't contribute yeasty flavours (I do plan to cold crash it to help with racking).

Why the lemon juice? If you are looking for tart, you may want to consider malic acid instead.

What %ABV are you looking to get?

I've had good results with Nottingham yeast, as have many others on here.

Nottingham or S-04 or US-05 are the standards.

Read the sticky in the cider forum on yeasts to use for cider. Pretty extensive experiment there and good info.

UpstateMike: Can't remember, my based recipe was the 5-day cider one, I believe. I'm aiming for just 6-7% ABV

cyberlord: Will do..

Lavlun EC-1118 works fasts but may need to be aged and hard to stop before dry. Craisin's add a little tartness.

After consulting the thread I was aimed at, I chose the Safale 04--but since the brew store didn't have any I went with Nottingham, which was my second choice.

MarkKF: Nooo, I don't want to use the beast for a low ABV cider--I like some sweetness:). I do like the craisins idea though--that sounds tasty.

I'm aiming at starting this on Saturday....

for fast the lower the % the better imo less flavors to hide since your not giving it time to age and mellow

I started this today with the recipe of

3 gallons cider (nothing special, unfortionately
4.5 cups of white sugar, heated to soft ball stage with some cider
Nottingham brewer's yeast
1/3 pound craisins

OG is 1.068. I'm aiming for a finished SG of about 1.015 or so.

Latest posts

Back