Fast beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanfox

Reaction score
What would be a quick recipe? Something that ferments quick, and clears quick, then conditions quick as well. Is there such a beer recipe that can go from fermenter to drinkable in 5 weeks or less?

About the fastest style that you can brew (and have it turn out decent) from boil to bottle is a Hefeweizen.

EdWorts APA is drinkable 1 week after bottling(in my experience). That's 1-2-1, or four weeks.

I second the Hefe, usually at the 3 week mark (AG) they are drinkable. I am happier with them at 4 weeks though. As mentioned an APA (in general) is drinkable in 4 (I didn't say optimal). Unless you have a serious filtration system, plan on most ales minimum 4 weeks (and that may not make it drinkable). 5 weeks is certainly doable. NutBrowns can mature fairly quick as well, depending on what you put into it.

A Mild or Bitter using a highly flocculate yeast could be drinkable in 4 weeks.
In general you will want a low gravity and either a style that should be cloudy or a yeast that is highly flocculate.

Craig

zoebisch01 said:
I second the Hefe, usually at the 3 week mark (AG) they are drinkable.

I agree hefe's a fast. But if this beer is for an "event" and is going to be consumed by a wide audience...I'm afraid no amount of time will make the beer drinkable...especially if you're trying to cater to a BMC crowd.

A lot of people are put off by the banana/clove signature.

Still...until we know your brew setup...it's going to be hard to make suggestions.

BierMuncher said:
I agree hefe's a fast. But if this beer is for an "event" and is going to be consumed by a wide audience...I'm afraid no amount of time will make the beer drinkable...especially if you're trying to cater to a BMC crowd.

A lot of people are put off by the banana/clove signature.

Still...until we know your brew setup...it's going to be hard to make suggestions.

True dat :D. But any time I can put a plug in for Hefe's.....:p. They aren't for everyone, that's for sure. Yeah that brings up a good point. lanfox, who are you making this for? Yourself, close friends, an event?? That will indeed have an impact :)

I did an English Pale ale that was very drinkable in 3 weeks.

On another note, do "normal" beer drinkers really have a problem with hefes? I thought everyone loved wheat beers :confused:

maltMonkey said:
I did an English Pale ale that was very drinkable in 3 weeks.

On another note, do "normal" beer drinkers really have a problem with hefes? I thought everyone loved wheat beers :confused:
There's a big difference between an American wheat beer like Boulevard Wheat and a true hefeweizen.

Pick a low alcohol style, like an ordinary bitter, standard dry stout, light wheat beer, primary it in your carboy for three weeks, pop it straight into bottles and hold them at 70˚ for two weeks. A hefeweizen will be in fine form in that time, as will most beers ~3-4% abv.

BierMuncher said:
There's a big difference between an American wheat beer like Boulevard Wheat and a true hefeweizen.

Well sure, but I just can't see anything offensive flavor wise.....Then again I've never really seen anyone else drinking a hefe......

Wild's blue moon clone is damned fast with Wyeast 1214... At 5 days in the primary, it was at 1.006 and I racked to a keg.. 3 days later I had it carbed and other than being a bit yeasty, it was great!

My very second batch was a Munton's extract IPA kit. I did something really stupid and boiled it--it's a no boil kit. However that resulted in a smooth drinkable ale.

It spent two weeks in the primary fermenter, never saw the secondary fermenter, and two weeks in the bottles. So, in four weeks total it was drinkable. After 3 weeks in the bottles, it was really good. And after four weeks in the bottles it was gone :eek: I gave too much of it away...

Thanks for all the quick responses. :mug:

BierMuncher said:
It would help to know what you brew (Extracts, All grain, PM's)...

This brew is for myself, I am curently set up for Extracts or PM's it will be a few more months before I go AG. And I dont have a filter.

Mostly I just wanted a fast recipe so that in the event that my celler starts to run dry I can quickly replenish it. Not looking for a compititon quality brew, just something that is quick to make and tasts good.

Latest posts

Back